Evening Mass on Holy Days of Obligation?

Started by Daniel, May 13, 2021, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessean

Quote from: Daniel on May 14, 2021, 07:09:13 PM
Well, what I don't understand is:
1.) how I can focus on the mysteries when I'm too busy praying the vocal prayers,
2.) why each vocal prayer is being repeated to the point of torture, and
3.) why the Salve Regina ascribes to our Lady what appears to be attributes that are proper only to God.
1.) I have used cards of the mysteries for a focal image. The image in my head sticks as I pray, keeps me from wandering.
2.) Its that way because the rosary is a stand-in for the 150 psalms. Its a mercy we don't need to remember them all. (Maybe people who know all the psalms by heart don't even need to pray a rosary, because they memorized God's prayerbook.)
3.) I don't know.

andy

What I said is that I can't go to confession because any confession that I do make will be invalid.

Why? Because of your lack of disposition? Or a priest?

DigitalLogos

Quote from: Tennessean on May 15, 2021, 04:48:10 PM
1.) how I can focus on the mysteries when I'm too busy praying the vocal prayers,
3.) why the Salve Regina ascribes to our Lady what appears to be attributes that are proper only to God.
1.) I have used cards of the mysteries for a focal image. The image in my head sticks as I pray, keeps me from wandering.
2.) Its that way because the rosary is a stand-in for the 150 psalms. Its a mercy we don't need to remember them all. (Maybe people who know all the psalms by heart don't even need to pray a rosary, because they memorized God's prayerbook.)
3.) I don't know.

I recommend the first practice, and actually encourage the OP to give St. Louis de Montfort's method of praying the Rosary a shot: https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=25445.0
I've always had trouble focusing on the mysteries and have time and time again succumbed to rushing through it for the sake of fulfilling a daily obligation. I've found St. Louis' method very helpful (and fruitful) in enhancing my focus during a Rosary.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Daniel

I think I've got the answer to this.

- She's called our "life" not because she is our life (which would be blasphemous) but because she is the new Eve whose name comes from a root meaning "to live".
- She's called our "hope" not because we hope in her (which would be idolatrous), but because she's the Star of the Sea which is the hope of us sailors.
- She's called "advocate" not in order to usurp the divine title of Advocate (which would be blasphemous) but because she advocates for us.
- She's called "clement" not so that she may "have mercy on us" (which would be idolatrous) but because she's merciful in the same way that other humans are said to be merciful.

I don't like the language, but I guess there's nothing wrong with the Salve Regina after all.

Quote from: andy on May 18, 2021, 06:09:14 PM

The former.

Quote from: DigitalLogos on May 18, 2021, 07:30:35 PM
Quote from: Tennessean on May 15, 2021, 04:48:10 PM
3.) I don't know.

I recommend the first practice, and actually encourage the OP to give St. Louis de Montfort's method of praying the Rosary a shot: https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=25445.0
I've always had trouble focusing on the mysteries and have time and time again succumbed to rushing through it for the sake of fulfilling a daily obligation. I've found St. Louis' method very helpful (and fruitful) in enhancing my focus during a Rosary.

Thank you.

andy

Quote from: Daniel on May 18, 2021, 08:58:18 PM
Quote from: andy on May 18, 2021, 06:09:14 PM
The former.

So if this is the case, just go. Let the priest decide if a confession is valid, not you. In the worst case you will not get an absolution and gain a lot of clarity about your situation. Let's remove the doubt.