Permanent deacons?

Started by Daniel, March 21, 2021, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

What is the history behind "permanent deacons"? They seem common in the NO, but I have never seen them at TLM parishes. Is this a novelty, or is there any traditional basis for it?

Prayerful

It results from V2, Lumen Gentium in general and the motu proprio Sacrum Diaconatus Ordinem specifically. It's a NuChurch, so probably best avoided, although I do know some permanent deacons on Twitter seem sound enough.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jacob

As Father Z likes to point out, deacons are a result of their formation.  Some of them are well trained and are orthodox, knowing their roles.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Jmartyr

Archbishop Lefebvre , if I remember correctly, was ok with the idea as long as they remained unmarried.
"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales
" The way is open for us to deprive councils of their authority, contradict their acts freely, and profess confidently, whatever SEEMS to be true. " - Martin Luther

drummerboy

My biggest criticism is, despite their ordained status, they still cannot administer any sacrament that the laity can't themselves, namely Baptism and Matrimony.  Obviously, the difference is deacon are indeed ordained, and can thus administer these in a regular scenario whereas laity only in irregular, besides other liturgical functions.  I fancy this is part of the reason they faded away: if you're one step from the priesthood, then why not?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Christina_S

I know of a few married permanent deacons. One in particular is quite decent, as far as NO Catholics go. His problem is that NO priests know what to do with a deacon, since they themselves were only deacons for a few months before priestly ordination. So the deacon is basically just an altar server on Sundays. Susan from the parish council carries out all the hospital/long-term care ministries, admin tasks, etc. while the deacon is not assigned anything.

Overall, not a fan of permanent deacons, especially if the man is married. I know that many defenders of it will say "No, no, it's not going to lead to married priests! Pshaw!" But a married man has obligations to his family, however big or small it may be. That comes first.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

drummerboy

Another objection to permanent deacons, although this is incidental, and not related the institution itself: every permanent deacon I've met is a well to do, affluent older white man.  I'm not doubting their sincerity, they do seem genuine and it is a sacrifice to give over a time of your life which most men would rather spend on hobbies, travel, with family, etc (i.e. retirement), but I fear the danger that it could slowly morph into something that you just do when you get that age. 

Furthermore, as anyone who has attended a solemn high Mass would know, the priest still retains his character of deacon and sub-deacon, hence their serving as such at Mass.  Perhaps the NO had to restore permanent deacons because this aspect is given no expression in the NO and their absence was rather conspicuous.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Christina_S

Quote from: Christina_S on March 24, 2021, 09:08:26 AM
I know of a few married permanent deacons. One in particular is quite decent, as far as NO Catholics go. His problem is that NO priests DON'Tknow what to do with a deacon, since they themselves were only deacons for a few months before priestly ordination. So the deacon is basically just an altar server on Sundays. Susan from the parish council carries out all the hospital/long-term care ministries, admin tasks, etc. while the deacon is not assigned anything.

Overall, not a fan of permanent deacons, especially if the man is married. I know that many defenders of it will say "No, no, it's not going to lead to married priests! Pshaw!" But a married man has obligations to his family, however big or small it may be. That comes first.
Bleh, typo.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

dolores

The idea of remaining a deacon, and not being ordained to the priesthood, is not objectionable.  Although not common in the past, it did occur, with St. Francis of Assisi being a prime example.

The real objection to the modern permanent diaconate is not the permanent nature of it, but rather the fact that married men are ordained deacons, and, in many cases, it is a sort of "part time" ministry, given that the married deacon will have a family to support and, presumably, a full time job.

King Wenceslas

It is nothing more than a New Church gig. Before October 1958, it didn't exist. Just ignore them. They wanted marriage more than the priesthood when they were younger. Now they want to play priest when they are older.

lauermar

Excuse me, I know ordained deacons can baptize and marry a couple sacramenally. But non-Catholics cannot marry themselves without legal authority being present (a boat captain,  pastor, judge, or a government leader) and two witnesses. A layman cannot baptize unless it is an emergency.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)