Alphabet geometry

Started by Daniel, May 04, 2017, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

X, in bowling, signifies a strike, and fittingly so, for X is the Roman numeral which means 10, the very quantity of the bowling pins which have been knocked down. And this relates to geometry inasmuch as the bowling pins are configured as a triangle, for the number 10, i.e. the so-called "tetractys" worshipped by Pythagoras, is a triangular number, composed from four and three and two and one.
I   I   I   I
I   I   I
I   I
I

Daniel

Yen, which in Japanese is not yen but is rather en, a common yet also mathematical term which in English means circle. For each yen is worth approximately a penny, and the penny is shaped very much like a circle.
?

Daniel

Zn = Z(n-1)2 + C

Or, as I'd much rather phrase it,

Zn = ( (Z(n-1)a2 - Z(n-1)b2 + Ca) + (((2 × Z(n-1)a × Z(n-1)b) + Cb) × i ) )
(That way we don't need to work with those so-called "imaginary" numbers...)

PerEvangelicaDicta

I like those last few colorful notations, Daniel.

In terms of number of correct answers so far, aquinas138 is winning I think!
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Daniel

Arcsine, as has been written,

"[. . . ] sine is equal to the opposite over hypotenuse, cosine is equal to the adjacent over the hypotenuses, and the tangent is equal to the sine divided by the cosine, or even the opposite over the adjacent, which brings up the fact of a force called sohcahtoa, which is often confused with Sacagewaea, in which I speeled wrong, which is the lady on those golden dollar coins. Which means that to counteract the forces of Sacagawea, another force must be introduced, one in which is called by Dannyjenn the Susan B. Anthony. Well basically if there's a sohcahtoa, there must be a choshacao, which would stand for cosecant is equal to the hypotenuse over opposite, secant is equal to the hypotenuses divided by adjacent, so then the cotangent must be the adjacent over the opposite, in which this doesn't work out because s can not stand for sine and secant, and c cannot stand for cosine, cosecant, and cotangent. But anyways, if these two sets of formulas are in existence, then one must represent rock, and the other would be paper. This disrupts the flow of rock paper scissors, so a scissors must be introduced. This scissors would most likely be the arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, which is basically the inverse sine, cosine, and tangent [. . .]" (Book of Lof, ch. XVIII)

Daniel

Buckiball, a word I sometimes use when referring to the geometry of soccer balls and to truncated icosahedrons in general.

However, I just checked Wikipedia and it turns out that the terms "buckiball" and "truncated icosahedron" are not interchangable; the former is merely another name for the Buckminsterfullerene molecule which takes the shape of the latter. So I guess I will now have to stop calling soccer balls buckiballs :(

Daniel

Chocolate, a delicious candy of sorts with potentially infinite area. It is said that a single bar can feed an entire army for no less than three hundred years.

Daniel

Anyone else playing? lol

Distance = sqrt( (y2-y1)2 + (x2-x1)2 )

Daniel

Daniel

aquinas138

What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Daniel

CilantroTamales

J
A point in the triangle JKL
;D

Daniel

K, another point on the triangle JKL