Son going to the Bakken

Started by james03, May 19, 2014, 07:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

Proud papa here.  I'm taking my boy (young man) up to the Bakken for the summer.  I'm stoked, he'll be bunking with me at the man camp, but we'll be working on different locations.

He already has his H2S awareness cert, and his drug test.  Currently working on his OSHA 10, which is an online course.  He'll be working as a roust-about on facilities, which is basically installing the equipment between the well and the pipeline.  A roust-about is unskilled labor.

I'll report back what  his hours and pay are for those interested.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Jacob

Looking forward to learning more about his experience.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on May 19, 2014, 09:00:43 AM
Looking forward to learning more about his experience.

Yes, me too.

Chestertonian

What does one do at the Bakken?
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

james03

Work 60-70 hours a week and stash the money.  Nothing else up there, except some nuke missile silos.  He's helping out with his college costs.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Lynne

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 19, 2014, 09:31:33 AM
What does one do at the Bakken?

Drill for oil, I believe...

The Bakken Shale Oil field, which stretches down from Canada into North Dakota and Montana, could hold over 5 billion barrels of oil reserves.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

Good luck.  My nephew just qualified for the Royal Marines.

Strange when little tots grow up and become something responsible or dangerous.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

clau clau

Quote from: james03 on May 19, 2014, 07:23:44 AM
Proud papa here.  I'm taking my boy (young man) up to the Bakken for the summer.  I'm stoked, he'll be bunking with me at the man camp, but we'll be working on different locations.

Man camp.  I wonder if they have Man Drawers at the man camp.

That reminds me of a funny comedy sketch

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on May 19, 2014, 01:17:34 PM

Are they an SAS/special forces type of detachment?

James, that is great news. Hope he makes some good jack. Is he following in your footsteps?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

No, he doesn't use tobacco products.

Though he'll be starting engineering this fall.

Greg

Quote from: Heinrich on May 20, 2014, 08:55:13 PM
Quote from: Greg on May 19, 2014, 01:17:34 PM

Are they an SAS/special forces type of detachment?

James, that is great news. Hope he makes some good jack. Is he following in your footsteps?

Kinda, sorta.

They are far better trained than the regular army soldiers.  The Royal Marines are actually the fighting force of the Navy.

But not as well train or elite as the SAS or SBS.  Those people are the creme de la creme of the armed forces and you'd probably have to graduate in the top 10% of the people passing out to have a chance of getting selected for that.  Probably about half-way between the two I would think.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2364723/Tested-destruction-Ex-SAS-officer-reveals-terrifying-selection-process-special-forces.html

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

rbjmartin

Quote from: james03 on May 19, 2014, 12:29:57 PM
Work 60-70 hours a week and stash the money.  Nothing else up there, except some nuke missile silos.  He's helping out with his college costs.

Where's he going to college?

james03

He'll be a Sooner.  First year in community college.  Credits transfer and he'll get his weed out courses behind him.

dymphna17

Quote from: james03 on May 21, 2014, 07:33:25 PM
He'll be a Sooner.  First year in community college.  Credits transfer and he'll get his weed out courses behind him.

:thumbsup:  Can't go wrong with OU! 
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Greg

Let's all keep him in our prayers too so he stays safe.

After all, without him none of us are driving 50 miles to Mass or running our heating or cooling.