Son going to the Bakken

Started by james03, May 19, 2014, 07:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

In about a year or two that becomes literal in England because the Green loons won't let you drill for your gas.  They are putting a massive LNG plant down in Cameron, LA.  Since it is on the Gulf, the product will most likely ship to Europe.  Which reminds me since this is the job posting thread, Cameron is going to have a ton of jobs.  Nothing there but swamp, but the food is good.  Lake Charles is an ok place to live, it is pretty big.  Don't know about job openings first hand, but worth checking out.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on May 21, 2014, 05:31:37 AM
No, he doesn't use tobacco products.

Though he'll be starting engineering this fall.

I thought you quit chewing?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

james03

Roust-a-bout (unskilled laborer)
$1800 per month for living expenses (which is not a lot up here)

$18/hr. straight time (first 40 hours)
$27/hr. overtime (hours over 40)

Getting around 67 hours / week, so 27 hours overtime.  Sundays off.

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on June 12, 2014, 06:30:33 PM
Roust-a-bout (unskilled laborer)
$1800 per month for living expenses (which is not a lot up here)

$18/hr. straight time (first 40 hours)
$27/hr. overtime (hours over 40)

Getting around 67 hours / week, so 27 hours overtime.  Sundays off.

What is the age limit?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Greg

So $1900 per week before tax.

What does a single guy trouser after all the taxes and necessary extra expenses.  Higher cost of living and rent.

How long can most young men work 67 hours per week for before going stir-crazy up there or just getting rundown and worn out?

A couple of years I would imagine could see you save $100,000 USD which is a good start in life.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on June 13, 2014, 08:20:22 AM
So $1900 per week before tax.

What does a single guy trouser after all the taxes and necessary extra expenses.  Higher cost of living and rent.

How long can most young men work 67 hours per week for before going stir-crazy up there or just getting rundown and worn out?

A couple of years I would imagine could see you save $100,000 USD which is a good start in life.

11 hours of manual labor per day is not that tough if you take care of yourself. This is similar to earnings that made it possible for men in Cleveland, Detroit, Gary, Pittsburgh, etc. to once upon a time support large Catholic families. They worked like this for 35 years. Granted indoors, but the work was tough. I am sure the boys who can weather a year in all conditions can do this work for awhile.

Akavit

Quote from: Heinrich on June 13, 2014, 09:43:45 AM
11 hours of manual labor per day is not that tough if you take care of yourself.

I would agree but it does take a focused individual that's disciplined enough to keep an eye on the long term.  Unfortunately, most young people I've met haven't gotten to the point where they can spend 11 hours working then avoid wasting the rest eating junk food and goofing off.

I'm not sure why some people prefer to spend their evenings having fun then the entire work day complaining about dead end jobs and insufficient money instead of just biting the bullet and getting it over with two years of hard work.

james03

QuoteHow long can most young men work 67 hours per week for before going stir-crazy up there or just getting rundown and worn out?
No, you would not do that for the long haul.  For a young Trad who has no idea what to do, you work this job during the summer, and after tax take home should be $15,000.  That's after all expenses, because one benefit up here is there's no where to spend any money, and no females to spend it on.

So the Trad young lad could then enroll for a 2 year certificate program.  Maybe work weekends while in school.  Then the second summer he can apprentice for about the same loot, or do another hitch up here if he is hurting for money.  Second summer he would make $22/$33 per hour.

After 2 years he's got a cert, great field experience, and on his way to $150,000/yr. at a decent job where he can get married and raise a family.  (Starting would be less, but he can get to $150,000 within 10 years).  Good jobs available in Oklahoma and Texas for someone with an industrial/technical certificate, with some good options for TLM and you would be near a decent sized town/city.

My son is doing something similar, but he's going for his engineering degree.  The field work also gives him hands on experience, which is a big plus.

james03

QuoteWhat is the age limit?
18.  If you are 16/17 you can work at a store for $16/hr., but no per diem for living expenses.

Greg

I did those sorts of hours for 4 months when rebuilding my house.  Combination of managing builders and keeping them supplied as well as some building work myself.  I was on site for 13-14 hours per day 6 days per week.

When it was finished I was still hyper for 6-8 weeks afterwards.  Like I had the stress levels needed to work hard but no manual labour to do and no people to manage any longer.  Not a pleasant feeling.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on June 14, 2014, 03:07:11 AM
I did those sorts of hours for 4 months when rebuilding my house.  Combination of managing builders and keeping them supplied as well as some building work myself.  I was on site for 13-14 hours per day 6 days per week.

When it was finished I was still hyper for 6-8 weeks afterwards.  Like I had the stress levels needed to work hard but no manual labour to do and no people to manage any longer.  Not a pleasant feeling.

Didn't you say you took up running again? Need to lift weights, Gg.

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on June 13, 2014, 05:56:43 PM
QuoteHow long can most young men work 67 hours per week for before going stir-crazy up there or just getting rundown and worn out?
No, you would not do that for the long haul.  For a young Trad who has no idea what to do, you work this job during the summer, and after tax take home should be $15,000.  That's after all expenses, because one benefit up here is there's no where to spend any money, and no females to spend it on.

So the Trad young lad could then enroll for a 2 year certificate program.  Maybe work weekends while in school.  Then the second summer he can apprentice for about the same loot, or do another hitch up here if he is hurting for money.  Second summer he would make $22/$33 per hour.

After 2 years he's got a cert, great field experience, and on his way to $150,000/yr. at a decent job where he can get married and raise a family.  (Starting would be less, but he can get to $150,000 within 10 years).  Good jobs available in Oklahoma and Texas for someone with an industrial/technical certificate, with some good options for TLM and you would be near a decent sized town/city.

My son is doing something similar, but he's going for his engineering degree.  The field work also gives him hands on experience, which is a big plus.

Do they have an age ceiling? You are making it sound oh so appealing to do. I could move the Mrs. to Rapid City(closer than CO and a FSSP parish to boot!) and work in the fields myself.

Archer

What's the Traditional Mass situation there, James?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney