At what age

Started by TandJ, July 02, 2021, 12:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TandJ

At what age do you think it would be alright to watch a movie with tribal nudity (The Mission etc..) with adolescent or adult children?

nmoerbeek

Quote from: TandJ on July 02, 2021, 12:34:20 PM
At what age do you think it would be alright to watch a movie with tribal nudity (The Mission etc..) with adolescent or adult children?

I think a better question to ask is: Is entertainment ever a suitable reason to take a risk an offense against chastity, and if so under what circumstances would such a risk against chastity not be sinful?

Unless we can find a circumstance where it is okay to look at nude tribal people when the end is entertainment, I think the answer is going to be: never.  I highly reccomend considering getting a clearplay dvd player that will remove all nudity from DVD's and the such like.

"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

TandJ

Quote from: nmoerbeek on July 02, 2021, 12:43:40 PM

I think a better question to ask is: Is entertainment ever a suitable reason to take a risk an offense against chastity, and if so under what circumstances would such a risk against chastity not be sinful?

Unless we can find a circumstance where it is okay to look at nude tribal people when the end is entertainment, I think the answer is going to be: never.  I highly reccomend considering getting a clearplay dvd player that will remove all nudity from DVD's and the such like.

I can say I am 100 percent not tempted by the male body (or any nude body) especially tribal nude bodies, quite the opposite really. I can pretty much guarantee my adult daughter feels the same way. There's nothing erotic about naked native tribal people. I believe we've seen worse nudity when we both went to Rome two years ago.

nmoerbeek

Quote from: TandJ on July 02, 2021, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: nmoerbeek on July 02, 2021, 12:43:40 PM

I can say I am 100 percent not tempted by the male body (or any nude body) especially tribal nude bodies, quite the opposite really. I can pretty much guarantee my adult daughter feels the same way. There's nothing erotic about naked native tribal people. I believe we've seen worse nudity when we both went to Rome two years ago.

I think you asked a question because your conscience gave you pause, and for good reason.  Nude paintings in Rome are of a different character than looking at the nudity of a specific persons in film.  My passions are not excited by most women that I deal with I am not allowed to see them nude, or pictures of them nude even if these photos would not be erotic, or even appealing. 

I would have to have a good reason to see a person nude, and the question to resolve is: is entertainment a sufficient reason to see a person nude.  I am pretty certain the answer is no.  To allow ourselves to see people nude without a good reason undermines the control that we are suppose to have over our senses.

"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

Insanis

The question here is a spiritual one at heart, and the "answer" requires insight into oneself.

That is complex. A person may be able to be exposed to things without any proximate occasion of sin, but that doesn't mean that it should be assumed to be the case in general.

I'm not familiar with the movie in question, but the mind of a child or adolescent is extremely prone to finding any hint of something to be an occasion of sin.

With this, comes excuse making, habits, and perhaps an even deeper fall.

So, I'd recommend to not expose someone to something "new" like that.

The novelty alone is an occasion of sin, especially for the less developed mind and conscience.

Don't underestimate concupiscence and the difficulty in self-control of adolescents at the very least.

As for art, it would be ill-advised to let them dwell on classical art as well or suggestive writings, no matter how harmless they may seem.

Tennessean

If they are adolescents and adults, you can ask them "hey, this movie has a bunch of nekid people in it, do you want to see that?"

Christina_S

Once my daughter is 15 or so, she'll be allowed to watch The Mission. That film is a fascinating representation of missionary activity and the struggles that men of heroic virtue overcame. Jeremy Irons is an added bonus  8)

I think an explanation of tribal culture/nudity is in order prior to watching it. I can't recall much nudity at all in The Mission, though perhaps it is my poor memory. It was certainly better than one film that I tried watching about early Canadian missionaries, which had a thinly veiled sex scene right in the middle. I found it quite disturbing and struggled with it for a long time.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Prayerful

When it was shown in school, it was a source of amusement to see the Amazonian tribes in the Mission. Someone might be under malign influence to find that arousing. I didn't recall there was too much of it. A bigger storyline was the repentance and martyrdom of a soldier. The Jesuits give them Christianity, clothing and civilisation. Symbolically some tribal people were forced by Portuguese troops to discard the Capitulation clothing. Satan tries to work his way into a man's mind, but for this to wreak havoc, his defences might already have been thrown down.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

TandJ

I'm still mulling this over. I watched the first ten minutes by myself and just saw both sexes in loincloths and only the women had bare breasts. In moral theology the breasts aren't categorized as "indecent" but only "less decent". The genitals are the only obscene parts it seems and those seem to be covered excluding small children I think. My daughter has taken a classical art history course and has already seen everything as I've mentioned. Again tribal nudity is in no way arousing. At all.

Therese

A good way to find out if there is something offensive in a movie, is to find the movie on imdb, and see if there is a "Parents Guide". People who have watched a movie can voluntarily enter details of what is included. It may or may not be comprehensive or even exist for every movie.

Here it is for this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091530/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Based solely on the last entry under "Sex and Nudity", I would not even consider watching it.

Tennessean

There's also the rating. Its on the back of the box, at the bottom. :P