Networking tip/advice from Greg

Started by Kaesekopf, February 23, 2013, 02:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Saw this elsewhere, Greg said I could post it here.

QuoteWant a easy well paid career between now and 2050? Want to be connected to all the right people?  Have great job opportunities find you?

Then never stop networking, network and connect to everyone you meet and managed and keep alive your on-line persona.

24 years ago when I left uni and went into the technology game there was no Internet.  In 1993 my sister's drippy girlfriend who worked as a librarian said, "have you surfed the web yet?" Stupidly I ignored her thinking, what does she know? It was only 4 months later I borrowed a modem and funny little chirping sounds came from it.   11 years ago there was no Facebook or LinkedIn.

5 years ago, I logged into LinkedIn once per week to find a name and Google was my homepage.  Today I spent the entire day in bed with a cold working on an iPad and have set up five new sales meetings and posted 25 comments or articles on LI.

Yesterday, I put LinkedIn as my homepage and Google is now just in the toolbar.  That is a red letter day.  Google had been my homepage for the last 14 years.

In the last week I have connected to 5 more CEOs of billion dollar valuation companies without even talking to them on the phone first or meeting them in person.  If people can read your profile and your comments they can tell you are credible and the right person to meet without speaking to you.  The data is only going to increase and the analysis of that data too.  You need to be as polished, proper, professional in your LI profile today as you would if you were invited to the White House or a royal palace to meet a head of state.  What you post may may be used in evidence against you, or for you.  Being silent is no defence, that will just get you ignored.  Who you know was always important but now people will judge your value, character and other traits about you by who knows you and your online persona.

In early 1999 I was tipped off about a new search engine called Google. I tested it against Alta Vista and thought, " dam, this is cool". I went around my clients trying to get them onto Google and off Yahoo, Ask Jeeves or whatever they were using at the time.  I got the middle name Google sandwiched between my Christian name and my surname which both begin with G.  By 2002 everyone was Googling.

Mark my words.  If you are in marketing or sales or any kind of selling, connection contacting role LinkedIn is going to become more important than the telephone over the next five years.  In 10 years the words resume and email will be consigned to history or what you use in emergencies when some idiot or Luddite is not on LinkedIn or LinkedInFacebook.

Why am I so sure? Well, I have been lucky enough to experience the birth of the Personal Computer, computer networking, the Internet and now social networking.  You learn to smell when the tide is changing and i am damned good at spotting these things now.  Plus, look what their shares have done in the last two years.

I am surer about LinkedIn than I was about Google
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ben

KK, I've always thought you are an exceptional networker.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ben

You're outgoing, and you know how to engage in light banter without getting frazzled. Prime networking virtues.

Mono no aware

I'm certain the ggregs of the world will consider me an anachronistic and probably sexually frustrated old fart for this, but I hate the trend of networking.  It strikes me as shameless and whore-y.  It's false conviviality for the sake of Mammon.  Makes me cringe.  Better were the days when a tradesman could set up his shop (or, more likely, inherit his trade from his father) and draw his business quite naturally from the local demand.  Times were simpler then.

Bonaventure

Making connections does not necessarily mean selling out one's principles.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Ben

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 24, 2013, 03:28:41 PM
I'm certain the ggregs of the world will consider me an anachronistic and probably sexually frustrated old fart for this, but I hate the trend of networking.  It strikes me as shameless and whore-y.  It's false conviviality for the sake of Mammon.  Makes me cringe.  Better were the days when a tradesman could set up his shop (or, more likely, inherit his trade from his father) and draw his business quite naturally from the local demand.  Times were simpler then.

:rofl:

Though I don't think that applies to KK. At least I hope not.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 24, 2013, 05:55:11 PM
Making connections does not necessarily mean selling out one's principles.

My apologies.  I didn't mean to imply that it necessarily did.  It is, however, tinged with a somewhat inauthentic approach to human relationships.  True tradesmanship speaks for itself.  Unctuous schmoozing is the way of the used car dealer.

Graham

Mark my words.  If you are in marketing or sales or any kind of selling, connection contacting role LinkedIn is going to become more important than the telephone over the next five years.  In 10 years the words resume and email will be consigned to history or what you use in emergencies when some idiot or Luddite is not on LinkedIn or LinkedInFacebook.

That's overstated, because the three tools (telephone, email, virtual networking) serve different purposes. For example, when negotiation is tentative or sensitive, businessment avoid putting it in print, because there is too much scope for misinterpretation and there is no plausible deniability later on. A written record is not always desirable. Second, I can't see messaging on LinkedIn moving beyond the informal role it already has, plus the interface and functionality on LinkedIn isn't nearly as flexible as that on say Outlook or comparable programs, and I doubt it ever will be. All that said, the overall point is well taken and inspired me to update my page.

MilesChristi

I always thought of it as facebook for professionals and companies.
and in this day andage, that is very effective, and probably will serve to foster connections,
just not as frivolous as facebook.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Graham

I was once sent to a business awards show, basically a networking event. Instead of treating you as a person, people literally judge and comment on the quality of your 'pitch'. Stupid me, I was just trying to talk to people - everyone else was 'pitching'. "False conviviality for the sake of Mammon" perfectly describes the impression I had of the event.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Graham on March 12, 2013, 05:58:03 PM

I was once sent to a business awards show, basically a networking event. Instead of treating you as a person, people literally judge and comment on the quality of your 'pitch'. Stupid me, I was just trying to talk to people - everyone else was 'pitching'. "False conviviality for the sake of Mammon" perfectly describes the impression I had of the event.
Well said.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Conclavist

Linkedin has always disgusted me! Well as long as it's not contrary to morals I guess have at it

Bonaventure

Quote from: Conclavist on June 13, 2015, 01:56:00 PM
Linkedin has always disgusted me! Well as long as it's not contrary to morals I guess have at it

Do what one must (as long as its not sin) to support a family.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LausTibiChriste

Excellent advice from Greg as usual, thanks man!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie