What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

Also, the little booklet: "Perfect Contrition: A Golden Key to Heaven," written by Fr. Von den Driesch, S.J., translated by Fr. Slater, S.J., and introduced by Fr. Lehmkuhl, S.J.

Which is mentioned in the above review is a good short summary of this wonderful spiritual doctrine.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 09, 2019, 06:00:36 PM
"Heaven Open To Souls" by Rev. Henry Churchill Semple S.J.

Fantastic and very spiritually uplifting as well as consoling. I am now on page 311 of this 500 pg. Book. I have recommended it to friends and family as well as a couple of our posters here. Easy to read, not in technical or philosophic language. Five Stars.

Just downloaded from Internet Archive. Thanks! :)
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 10, 2019, 10:23:51 AM
Also, the little booklet: "Perfect Contrition: A Golden Key to Heaven," written by Fr. Von den Driesch, S.J., translated by Fr. Slater, S.J., and introduced by Fr. Lehmkuhl, S.J.

Which is mentioned in the above review is a good short summary of this wonderful spiritual doctrine.

You can get an excerpt of that on audio from http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/:toth:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

I'm listening to The Count of Monte Cristo from Audible, narrated by Bill Homewood. So far, it's excellent. I also got Les Miserables narrated by him, too, which I'm looking forward to.
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

St Francis of Assisi by GK Chesterton
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Serendipity

Oh dear, at the risk of lowering the tone.......................  I am reading........................................ Game of Thrones - can I ever be forgiven!!

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Serendipity on February 12, 2019, 05:10:28 PM
Oh dear, at the risk of lowering the tone.......................  I am reading........................................ Game of Thrones - can I ever be forgiven!!
We all have our side readings: I've read the 13 vol. (or is it 14) set of "The Wheel of Time"; a total waste of time; but that was basically what is was: A "pastime"

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 12, 2019, 06:19:58 PM
We all have our side readings: I've read the 13 vol. (or is it 14) set of "The Wheel of Time"; a total waste of time; but that was basically what is was: A "pastime"

I read several of those volumes. And then at some point they became literally unreadable.

I was at a library trying to do real work. Looking around for any possible source of procrastination, I thought, "Maybe they have a new Robert Jordan volume," and sure enough, they did. I was desperate to read something to avoid working, but the sentences seemed to make no sense.

Most maddening of all was that in just the first few pages, he was adding additional new plot lines to the series at a time when it was already apparent that he had no hope of ever tying the story together as he claimed he would.

Ultimately the series was finished by another writer after the death of Robert Jordan. Perhaps he was able to pull together the countless plot strings that were left dangling, but it seems unlikely.

Prayerful

Parish priest has The Lion of Münster: the bishop who roared against the Nazis, Daniel Utrecht of the Oratory, as book of the month, so reading it.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Michael Wilson

Max,
Basically all the plot lines were resolved; not always to my satisfaction. R.J. Loved intricate description and detail; a lot of dialogue and new Characters. Brandon Sanderson was hired to finish the series and he did a great job; the die-hard fans did not like his work on Matt, but I thought it was good.  I liked the series, but there is a lot of divided opinion on it.

Padraig

Quote from: Maximilian on February 12, 2019, 10:42:26 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 12, 2019, 06:19:58 PM

I read several of those volumes. And then at some point they became literally unreadable.

I was at a library trying to do real work. Looking around for any possible source of procrastination, I thought, "Maybe they have a new Robert Jordan volume," and sure enough, they did. I was desperate to read something to avoid working, but the sentences seemed to make no sense.

Most maddening of all was that in just the first few pages, he was adding additional new plot lines to the series at a time when it was already apparent that he had no hope of ever tying the story together as he claimed he would.

Ultimately the series was finished by another writer after the death of Robert Jordan. Perhaps he was able to pull together the countless plot strings that were left dangling, but it seems unlikely.

Finishing the Wheel of Time series is something you do more out of anger and frustration than enjoyment. But the wrap-up by Brandon Sanderson was at least intelligible. It helps that he's a decent writer who writes on a schedule and as a profession, so he was able to crank out almost a million words in about three years.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 15, 2019, 12:49:15 PM

Brandon Sanderson was hired to finish the series and he did a great job;

Glad to hear the positive recommendation.

It's been about 15 years, however, since I was reading the series, so I don't think I'll go back to finish it, since my desire to know how it all ends has cooled considerably, or entirely.

But you never know. I might find myself in a library again one day and check out the Brandon Sanderson final installments.

Michael Wilson

Admittedly, Sanderson doesn't have the same eye for intricate detail or love of the long conversational exchanges, but he cuts to the chase and gets the dang thing done.
I would only recommend you finish the series if you have already read the seventh or eight book. Even Jordan was starting to pick things up  ( a bit) after that.

rosenley

"The Ways of Mental Prayer" By Rt. Rev. Dom Vitalis Lehodey
"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward." (Psalm 27:4)

"A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational."
"It is proper for man to be inclined to act according to reason."
"Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas