Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basilios

Quote from: The Harlequin King on December 23, 2013, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: Basilios on December 23, 2013, 10:44:08 AMNot sure how I felt about the not-so-subtle attempt at making Superman into a Messiah figure pretty much ripping off Our Lord but I guess it is natural; however, they didn't do anything with that theme except say a few nice things alluding to it. Which is fine but pointless if it doesn't have a conclusion or a greater meaning behind it.

My friend, who is a major Superman fan, argues that the Superman-as-messiah motif is the "traditional" one most faithful to its origins, and that the Superman-as-boy-scout one is modernist.

I've heard as much too. I never really liked superman so I don't know too much about his golden years. But this movie wasn't just messianic it was outright copycat.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Heinrich

Isnt Superman supposed to be some post modern, jewish allegory?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gerard

Quote from: Heinrich on December 23, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

It originally had a Moses theme going with the being sent to Earth in a rocket ship alone like Moses was sent down the Nile.

What eventually and naturally develops out of that is the Christ-figure precisely because Moses and all of the Jewish heroes of the Old Testament are prefigurements of Christ and for that matter Catholic saints. 

People never tire of having their stories be patterned on the truth of what we were made for. 

If they stray too far, the hero flops and the story dies, if they bring the hero closer to Our Lord and the truths of the Faith, the story gains in popularity. 

ReadyJoan

Hunger Games Catching Fire.  Way better than the first movie and probably even better than the book in my opinion. 

Heinrich

Quote from: Gerard on December 24, 2013, 12:03:19 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on December 23, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

It originally had a Moses theme going with the being sent to Earth in a rocket ship alone like Moses was sent down the Nile.

What eventually and naturally develops out of that is the Christ-figure precisely because Moses and all of the Jewish heroes of the Old Testament are prefigurements of Christ and for that matter Catholic saints. 

People never tire of having their stories be patterned on the truth of what we were made for. 

If they stray too far, the hero flops and the story dies, if they bring the hero closer to Our Lord and the truths of the Faith, the story gains in popularity.

Makes sense. But it appears to me that Superman is the styled like a Nietschien-Talmudic-Chosenite who comes to save the day. And the populace idolizes the figure. Maybe I am thinking too much into it.

I just received The Departed and The Fighter as early Christmas gifts. Looking forward to seeing these great movies again. Boston Irish. Settlers for great movie idears.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

zork

Quote from: ReadyJoan on December 24, 2013, 01:58:25 AM
Hunger Games Catching Fire.  Way better than the first movie and probably even better than the book in my opinion.

That was my exact opinion of HG:CF as well, right after seeing it.

Just saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug last night.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: ReadyJoan on December 24, 2013, 01:58:25 AM
I saw CF first then H.G. I thought they were both well done; although I pictured Peeta a little bit stockier, to reflect his strength in throwing the 100 lb sacks of flower. Johanna was a great cast. And Haymich's "drinking problem" was toned down quite a bit. Come to think of it, so was Catnis's emotional roller-coaster. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

RedCaves

Mono no aware

Basilios

Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

RedCaves

Quote from: ReadyJoan on December 26, 2013, 04:42:41 AM
Quote from: RedCaves on December 25, 2013, 11:55:11 AM
47 Ronin.

any good?

In my opinion, I LOVED it!!!

The critics, however, don't. :(

In real life, Keanu Reeves is part Chinese.

My main concern was that the movie would be extremely white-washed, but it was very minor.

The world of 47 Ronin felt very tangible and realistic, besides the mythical animals and magic powers that occur.

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Larry

The 1951 version of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim as Scrooge. Still the best version of the story.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross