Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Patriarch on May 04, 2013, 10:24:12 PM
Iron Man III; as of three-and-one-half hours ago. :toth:
well??? How was it....dish.z
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LouisIX

How was it, Archer?  I have a few Poirot movies on my Netflix instant queue, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

ImperialGuardsman

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 05, 2013, 05:04:46 AM

I just saw Iron Man 3 tonight.  Better than the second one I'd say.  Good summertime movie.
"One would be straying from the straight path were he to wish the altar restored to its primitive tableform; were he to want black excluded as a color for the liturgical vestments; were he to forbid the use of sacred images and statues in Churches...and lastly were he to disdain and reject polyphonic music or singing in parts, even where it conforms to regulations issued by the Holy See." - Ven. Pope Pius XII

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--  (Stolen from EcceQuamBonum's signature)

America, that great bastion of the Enlightenment, is the destroyer of all religions.--LouisIX

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on May 05, 2013, 08:16:34 PM
How was it, Archer?  I have a few Poirot movies on my Netflix instant queue, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

It was good.  I really enjoy Agatha Christie mysteries and Poirot is my favorite.  Some of them can be a little slow, but most are very good and David Suchet is casted perfectly. Off the top of my head a couple other good ones are:

Hickory Dickory Dock
Death on the Nile
Peril at End House
Sad Cypress
Three Act Tragedy

We're probably going to watch Murder on the Orient Express next. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

stitchmom

Mystery of Edwin Drood.

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

Quote from: ImperialGuardsman on May 05, 2013, 11:52:57 PM

I just saw Iron Man 3 tonight.  Better than the second one I'd say.  Good summertime movie.

Yes.

Iron Man 3 was VERY enjoyable.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Patriarch

It was alright. It was decent. The villain setup was to my liking though. I've seen a rather decidedly lack of compotent and well-played and well-thought out villainry in films too often nowadays. You'd figure they've have better villains; ones with clearer and better machinations. Some seem so trite or underdeveloped nowadays.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Hat And Beard

LouisIX

Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 12, 2013, 09:49:11 PM

What did you think?  I've been meaning to watch the entire "Trilogy of Faith" but haven't yet.

totiusque

Quote from: LouisIX on May 06, 2013, 12:55:01 PM

I'm a Keifer Sutherland fan, but I liked the ending of this original better than the 1993 "happy ending" version.  Both movies were well done, though, and Jeff Bridges does play a convincing villain (better than he was in the first Iron Man anyway).
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

totiusque

Quote from: Patriarch on May 10, 2013, 08:40:54 AM
It was alright. It was decent. The villain setup was to my liking though. I've seen a rather decidedly lack of compotent and well-played and well-thought out villainry in films too often nowadays. You'd figure they've have better villains; ones with clearer and better machinations. Some seem so trite or underdeveloped nowadays.

I liked Iron Man 3 better than the second one for sure.  I thought the way they handled The Mandarin was well done, but then again, I've never read the comics so I can't compare the two.

Acting was top notch.  RD,Jr. played his normal self (I don't think he really acts; I'm guessing he's like Tony Stark IRL).  Ben Kingsley was great as always, and Guy Pearce is one of the underrated actors of our generation (Memento and LA Confidential are two of my all time fave movies).  Gwyneth Paltrow...meh.

The action sequences were a bit over the top, but that's what makes it a good summer popcorn flick.  Special effects were top notch, but with a $500 mil budget, they'd better be.

Story was decent, if somewhat predictable.  I liked the storyline with the boy in the small town that Tony runs into.  I thought that added a lot to the film.  The Mandarin story was good, too (no spoilers here).
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Hat And Beard

Quote from: LouisIX on May 14, 2013, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: Hat And Beard on May 12, 2013, 09:49:11 PM

What did you think?  I've been meaning to watch the entire "Trilogy of Faith" but haven't yet.
I watched the entire trilogy of faith when I was 19. They're all good, but not Bergman's best. Winter Light is among his best, though; I'm not sure why I re-watched it, perhaps I identify with a few of the main characters. I'm guessing you've only seen Through a Glass Darkly? That one is rough, and this one is a much easier watch- I highly recommend it.  :)