Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on March 10, 2014, 06:38:45 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 10, 2014, 06:00:45 PM
Prior to the Hobbit movies the last movie I saw in theaters was probably Inception (excellent movie btw). I don't get out a whole lot...kids.

Other than the latest Batman movies which were fantastic, Superhero movies really don't do a whole lot for me.
I saw gravity in 3d....more of an experience than a story though. Kinda of like a space Poseidon adventure for one.

I heard mixed reviews on that one.  Haven't seen it myself yet. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Archer on March 10, 2014, 07:01:06 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on March 10, 2014, 06:38:45 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 10, 2014, 06:00:45 PM
Prior to the Hobbit movies the last movie I saw in theaters was probably Inception (excellent movie btw). I don't get out a whole lot...kids.

Other than the latest Batman movies which were fantastic, Superhero movies really don't do a whole lot for me.
I saw gravity in 3d....more of an experience than a story though. Kinda of like a space Poseidon adventure for one.

I heard mixed reviews on that one.  Haven't seen it myself yet.
If you cant see it un 3d there is no point
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Wicked Papist

Last four movies I saw:
Akira
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
Howl's Moving Castle
Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki

piabee

Maximilian

Quote from: Wicked Papist on March 11, 2014, 08:20:55 PM

Howl's Moving Castle

I've been meaning to watch this again. I think there might be more there than I first realized. The anti-war message comes to dominate the movie and make it hard to focus on the other aspects. I don't object to the anti-war message per se, but I think the "moving castle" might be an interesting metaphor for the soul which got lost when the anti-war stuff was tacked on. Also, I want to find a version of it that is subbed instead of dubbed so that I don't have to listen to Billy Crystal.

voxxpopulisuxx

Last four movies I saw:
Akira
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
Howl's Moving Castle
Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki

Attack on Titan (????? Shingeki no Kyojin?, lit. "Advancing Giants")
Best Anime series Ive ever watched! (1st season free on netflix)
Wiki:
It is set in a world where humanity lives inside cities surrounded by enormous walls due to the Titans, gigantic humanoid creatures who devour humans seemingly without reason. The story centers on Eren Yeager, his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert, whose lives are changed forever after the appearance of a Colossus Titan brings about the destruction of their home town and the death of Ere.
The acting is overdone of course but the animation is world class...and the storyline is fantastic. Twists and turns. It is a mix of drama-scifi-and horror. The benal nature of the creatures and their facial expressions are fascinateinglly disturbing. There are some really intelligent meditations on courage and grace under pressure.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Wicked Papist

Quote from: Maximilian on March 11, 2014, 10:19:44 PM

Howl's Moving Castle

I've been meaning to watch this again. I think there might be more there than I first realized. The anti-war message comes to dominate the movie and make it hard to focus on the other aspects. I don't object to the anti-war message per se, but I think the "moving castle" might be an interesting metaphor for the soul which got lost when the anti-war stuff was tacked on. Also, I want to find a version of it that is subbed instead of dubbed so that I don't have to listen to Billy Crystal.

Just Google "howl's moving castle english subbed."  I watched it with subs.

Larry

"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Larry on March 12, 2014, 07:35:04 PM
A Man for All Seasons.

I re-watched this before, as well. 

I like this quote, though I know it lacks a bit...
Quote"And when have gone to Heaven for following your conscience," More replies, "and I have gone to Hell for not following mine, will you come with me — for fellowship?"
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Habitual_Ritual

Out of the Furnace - Christian Bale and Woody Harelson. Most excellent.

One of the few movies I've seen get 5 stars on Amazon.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Larry

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 12, 2014, 11:18:16 PM
Quote from: Larry on March 12, 2014, 07:35:04 PM
A Man for All Seasons.

I re-watched this before, as well. 

I like this quote, though I know it lacks a bit...
Quote"And when have gone to Heaven for following your conscience," More replies, "and I have gone to Hell for not following mine, will you come with me — for fellowship?"

My favorite line:
Quote"Richard,it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales..."

Really an incredible movie.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 12, 2014, 11:18:16 PM

My favorite quote out of that movie.  I wish I could find out if More actually said something like that quote.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

piabee

I remember yelling "It is a deadly canker in the body politic AND I WILL HAVE IT OUT!!!" as a child and not understanding at all what it meant.

voxxpopulisuxx

911!

Larry