OSS film on Japan

Started by red solo cup, May 14, 2018, 02:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Considering this was made in 1943, the film is surprisingly objective.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

ServusMariae

Gosh, I adore Japan & everything of Japanese culture. Thanks alot for posting!  :seeya:

Gardener

Quote from: red solo cup on May 14, 2018, 02:45:20 PM
Considering this was made in 1943, the film is surprisingly objective.

I'm not surprised it's objective. The OSS' job was intelligence gathering and propaganda, espionage, etc.

Hard to do that without an objective assessment of the target. All the dehumanizing, bucktoothed, "suicidal japs" sort of propaganda was for the soldiers who would fight, not the reality as understood by the intelligence community.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

drummerboy

Despite all the sick cruel things the Japanese did in WWII (talk to a WWII vet, if they will, that is), one does have to respect how they managed to build themselves up as quickly as they did.  They must have had admirable qualities, from what I have read of St. Maximilian Kolbe's encounters with them.  The savagery of the soldier's was carefully and thoroughly brainwashed into them; they would have to bayonet prisoners to death (this happened most frequently in China), an action most abhorrent to human nature, but they made sure to have their fellow soldier's there to cheer them on, thus earning the respect of "the group," and then they would be rewarded with food, drink, and women, and thus began to associate cruelty with pleasure.  They were also cannibalistic, and would frequently sneak off the bodies off dead American GI's to eat, not because they were starving, but because they enjoyed it.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne