Douay Rheims family Bibles?

Started by Joshua119, March 06, 2015, 03:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua119

Does anyone know of any publishers who are currently printing DR family Bibles? I have searched every Catholic bookstore and website that I know of, plus Amazon and Ebay. I have found some beautiful NABRE and RSV-CE family bibles, but I can't even find a DR with a family records section, let alone a dedicated family Bible. Even a general Google search has produced nothing.

I know that the translation is not such a big deal, since they are intended to be heirlooms rather than personal study tools, but I would prefer a DR for my family if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archer

I think this should have what you're looking for.

www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/Bibles/
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Archer on March 06, 2015, 03:06:23 PM

The only one there that might qualify as an heirloom Bible is the Haydock, and that's $125. I have a softcover, two-volume edition. I've never personally seen the hardcover, single volume edition before.

Joshua119

Quote from: The Harlequin King on March 06, 2015, 03:17:56 PM

The only one there that might qualify as an heirloom Bible is the Haydock, and that's $125. I have a softcover, two-volume edition. I've never personally seen the hardcover, single volume edition before.

Thank you both for the help. The Haydock Bible is very nice looking, and may be a good choice (pending the bride's approval) If the DR/CV Bible description said that it had a family register section then I'd probably go with that one because it's absolutely beautiful, but I don't want to spend $100 to find out that it doesn't lol

Kaesekopf

I have the hardcover haydock.

It's neat.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Joshua119

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 06, 2015, 03:33:54 PM

I have the hardcover haydock.

It's neat.

:) I've actually wanted a copy of Haydock's commentary for a while anyway, so it'd be a good choice. Does it only contain a family genealogy section or does it have a complete sacramental records section?

Kaesekopf

(There's three total family history pages like this).

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Archer

Quote from: Joshua119 on March 06, 2015, 03:30:56 PM

Thank you both for the help. The Haydock Bible is very nice looking, and may be a good choice (pending the bride's approval) If the DR/CV Bible description said that it had a family register section then I'd probably go with that one because it's absolutely beautiful, but I don't want to spend $100 to find out that it doesn't lol

Not sure what I'm missing or I might just not understand what you're looking for. :huh: The $39.95 DR Bible has a "Family Register" section. It's our family bible and it's very good. Simple, but good.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Revixit

Quote from: Joshua119 on March 06, 2015, 03:30:56 PM

shoot them an e-mail and ask if it has a family register section.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

Frater

I like Baronius Press stuff. Pretty good (though in the Bibles I could do without the images, but that doesn't devalue it, and some folks like it). Even though English is not my first language that's the translation I use.
I don't know if a family Bible is something special other than just a large Bible, but there you go (there's also a "family register" within the Bible).
They also have a bilingual Douay-Rheims/Vulgate which is quite big.
Sicut cervus desiderat ad fontes aquarum, ita desiderat anima mea ad te Deus.

"Journalism is the art of translating abysmal ignorance into execrable prose", David B. Hart

dymphna17

?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Joshua119

Quote from: Archer on March 06, 2015, 04:30:06 PM
Not sure what I'm missing or I might just not understand what you're looking for. :huh: The $39.95 DR Bible has a "Family Register" section. It's our family bible and it's very good. Simple, but good.

oh haha I just looked at the big ornate ones, I didn't even notice those at first lol

Quote from: Frater on March 06, 2015, 07:48:04 PM
I like Baronius Press stuff. Pretty good (though in the Bibles I could do without the images, but that doesn't devalue it, and some folks like it). Even though English is not my first language that's the translation I use.
I don't know if a family Bible is something special other than just a large Bible, but there you go (there's also a "family register" within the Bible).
They also have a bilingual Douay-Rheims/Vulgate which is quite big.

hmm, I have a Baronius DR that I use as my personal bible, but it doesn't have a family register section at all, so whenever I see them I have just assumed that they didn't offer such a section. Maybe mine is defective lol

Joshua119

Thank you Kaesekopf for the pics, it looks like a wonderfully detailed Bible  :)

Kaesekopf

If you want more let me know.  But that should be a good survey.

Parresia