Anybody playing Wordle?

Started by Jayne, January 23, 2022, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

It is an online word game that is trendy lately.  My "babies" who are still at home have been playing this for a while.  The other day they got my husband and me to start playing too.  It is not especially time-consuming or addictive and gives us a pleasant topic to discuss with each other when we compare our scores and strategies.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

red solo cup

The Mrs and my youngest love it.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Yes, my husband and I started playing it. I like that the "official" Wordle website only has one word per day so it's not a time suck.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

Lynne

hahaha

And the New York Times bought Wordle. It will still be free...for now:(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

Quote from: Lynne on February 03, 2022, 05:14:02 AM
hahaha

And the New York Times bought Wordle. It will still be free...for now:(

Just knowing that has ruined it, even before they do anything.  Because we know they will.   ::)

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on February 03, 2022, 10:05:33 AM
Just knowing that has ruined it, even before they do anything.  Because we know they will.

I want to ruin things too!

I'll explain: it is a game and a website, but such things don't make money. A programmer can make a game and websites are generally cheap to start, but a site that gets 300000+ people to play it daily is an opportunity for profit: the developer sold it for money, and the buyer bought it with the intention to make money.

How does one make money with a website like this? By charging subscriptions or by surveillance capitalism. It seems to have been started as a personal project by an individual, but you can be sure it is going to be packaged as a spyware app and other nonsense.

In short, everything that is popular with the masses and scalable and suitable for the surveillance or subscription rent-seeking model will be ruined.

Looking at it now, it looks like a similar game to Mastermind. So if you have someone to play with, I'd recommend that.

Jayne

Possible Wordle spoilers for May 9:

Some Wordle weirdness today:

Words have been set up the program long in advance.  Last week they noticed that the word for today would be"fetus".  They decided that this was too political so they changed it.  However, anyone who has not refreshed their Wordle in the past week (like me) would  receive the original word.   

I found out because my son and I were discussing our scores and strategies and eventually realized that we were talking about two different words. He looked up what had happened and found a statement from NYT explaining this.

What a crazy world we live in that "fetus" is a word that is too politically charged to use in a puzzle.

red solo cup

I play this occasionally, but the Mrs. is a champ. She beats me regularly at Scrabble, Boggle, Word Thief, to the point where we quarrel. So we play Wordle cooperatively, together. She has a system that never fails.
These words in this order : bites
                                        flung
                                        champ
                                        wordy
Good luck
non impediti ratione cogitationis