Habibi?

Started by Ancilla Domini, March 12, 2014, 10:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

I keep hearing this song on the international radio stations I listen to, and I was struck by Ahmed Chawki's use of Habibi, the masculine form of an Arabic term of endearment, rather than the feminine Habibti, in what is obviously a love song. All I've been able to learn about this is that it is customary in Arabic music to use the masculine form, regardless of the gender of the singer, that it makes the song more universal and also less overtly sexual, and that it does not sound "gay" at all. Are there any Arabic speakers here who could shed more light on this?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2D_2Wiguf8[/yt]

Kaesekopf

I really love how it features Pitbull.  That was in fact the first thing I looked for.

But, I cannot give any insight.

Mr Worldwide!  Mr 305!

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ancilla Domini

Pitbull is definitely the least talented of the trio, but then it is probably only because of him that the song gets played, at least in this country.

I like this version because it also features Fani Drakopoulou, and she sings in Greek. But there are several other versions featuring other artists in other languages.

The version I first heard did not include Fani Drakopoulou or anybody else. It was just Pitbull and Ahmed Chawki. I thought they were singing to each other, and I was like...  :o   

I really doubt Pitbull is aware of that.  :lol:

Kaesekopf

You said "most talented" wrong...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ancilla Domini

Landless Laborer

I've got an Egyptian friend i'll ask.   He told me Arabic grammar is so difficult that he's often simply thrown up his hands, and it's his native language.   :o 

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on March 15, 2014, 09:57:17 AM
I've got an Egyptian friend i'll ask.   He told me Arabic grammar is so difficult that he's often simply thrown up his hands, and it's his native language.   :o 

Thanks, Landless. I've asked a few native speakers. It's not really a grammar question, since they have confirmed that the masculine is habibi and the feminine is habibti. This is more about the musical tradition of always using a masculine form, which they all seemed to know but couldn't really explain. I'll be curious to see what your friend says.