Broadband Internet Speeds. What are you getting?

Started by Greg, January 15, 2016, 06:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

What kind of speed are you getting for upload and download?

You can Google Broadband Speed Check and find a website that tests it for free.

Ping 53 ms
Download   57.63 Mb/s
Upload 10.94 Mb/s
1 hour outside London, UK in market town (outer edge of)

Interesting to compare regions and countries.

$70 per month including phone line rental and unlimited anytime UK calls to landlines (not mobiles)
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Lynne

I'll report when I get home...

The time of day affects your results too if you are on cable. On cable, you 'share' the bandwidth with your neighbors and so this test may give very different results at 5 pm when everyone gets home and starts surfing the net, as opposed to mid-day...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

LausTibiChriste

Central Poland

Ping 11ms
Download 5.08 Mbps (Woohoo)
Upload 0.11Mbps

For the type of internet browsing I'm doing I've never had a problem. When I was in Krakow I had 60Mbps no problem.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

You should add what you pay monthly, as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

$0...price included in rent. In Krakow it was about $25/month iirc

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Prayerful

217.95 mbps d/l, 24.83mbps u/l, 60 Euro with UPC (they call themselves Virgin Media now, but that's because UPC have a toilet level reputation with customers, ring them and find out for yourself) but that includes TV service, although that is discounted as the company put one of their repeaters on the side of one of the houses.

Oh I forgot, Ping is 5mbps.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lynne

Ping 15 ms
Download   27.19 Mb/s
Upload 6.21 Mb/s
just outside Boston, MA

$100 per month including phone line and unlimited anytime US calls to landlines
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Ping:  54ms
Download: 2.35Mbps
Upload: 1.15 Mbps
Terre Haute, IN

$15/mo
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Quote from: Prayerful on January 15, 2016, 05:52:57 PM
217.95 mbps d/l, 24.83mbps u/l, 60 Euro with UPC (they call themselves Virgin Media now, but that's because UPC have a toilet level reputation with customers, ring them and find out for yourself) but that includes TV service, although that is discounted as the company put one of their repeaters on the side of one of the houses.

That's quick.  Where are you?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

OCLittleFlower

My upload speed is higher than my download speed -- so strange.

Ping -- 12ms
Download -- 5.70
Upload -- 6.75

No clue what we pay, since my husband handles it.

I retested and got higher numbers.

Ping -- 14ms
Download -- 10.72
Upload -- 6.81
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Prayerful

Quote from: Greg on January 16, 2016, 12:26:34 AM
Quote from: Prayerful on January 15, 2016, 05:52:57 PM

That's quick.  Where are you?

Dublin, Ireland, now the speed showing today is 200 mbps with ping of 7 mbps.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Habitual_Ritual

Ping 78 ms
Download   39 Mb/s
Upload 6.05

The Boonies of Western NY. I pay handsomely for these speeds, which in rural NY, is like grease lightning. Most folk only have dial-up or satellite. The only reason I get these numbers is because a rich neighbor had already paid the cable company to run a line past our house, which we now also run off. About 70 dollars a month. That would have included cable TV, but we refused that service.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Heinrich

Ping: 21
Download: 13.24
Upload:  .83

NE Colorado Springs, 22/month. Centurylink.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on January 16, 2016, 10:44:16 AM

This DSL?

I recommend Comcast cable internet if it's available.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Gardener on January 16, 2016, 11:02:14 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 16, 2016, 10:44:16 AM

This DSL?

I recommend Comcast cable internet if it's available.

Internet has me believing Comcast is more evil than Satan. How could you possible recommend it?!  :trainwreck:

- MaximGun