A question about miracles

Started by Borygo, September 19, 2021, 01:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borygo

I have noticed that in traditional Catholic apologetics, the argument referring to miracles as one of the important proofs of the truth of the Catholic faith is one of the significant arguments. It may not be an absolute argument, but it seems to be quite important. And no wonder, considering that in the Holy Scriptures much attention is paid to the miracles performed by God's power through Christ, the Apostles and the prophets. It is also known that only God can be behind true miracles, who will not use them to confirm error, heresy or moral disorder. On the other hand, the Scriptures it also speaks of false miracles done by satanic power that try to imitate God's true miracles. And here comes the problem. Well, within almost every major Christian denomination (Catholicism, Protestantism, Orthodoxy) there are various extraordinary things happening, which the followers of these denominations call miracles. Sometimes it is also the case that Catholic apologists will say that such things going on among Protestants are satanic fakes, and vice versa, Protestant apologists will say the same about extraordinary phenomena happening within Catholicism. So where would you see any objective standard that would allow a distinction to be drawn between God's true miracles and their devilish counterfeits?

Of course, I do not mean this reasoning like: if a given extraordinary phenomenon confirms our religion, it means that it is a miracle of God, and if it does not confirm it, it is a diabolical act - something like this would be pointless and would constitute a kind of "vicious circle" argument. . My point is to indicate a border that would be relatively easily noticeable for every honest person, regardless of his religious affiliation. I know that such a criterion could be the occurrence of an event where something would be made of nothingness - because only God can do it - but have such miracles happened in the history of Catholicism? Probably the closest to something like this took place in the 17th-century Spanish Calanda, where something that in medical jargon would be called "reimplantation" of a previously amputated leg was to take place. However, also in this case, in a very strict sense, the creation of something out of nothing did not happen, because the human with the amputated leg did not "grow back", but the previously existing severed leg was restored. Furthermore, the fact that this event is far away from our present time makes it prone to accusations of manipulation, fraud, etc.

One of the extraordinary events among Protestants that I have in mind is an example of the supposed revelations of God that later resulted in the abandonment of Catholicism in favor of Protestantism. I mean the visions and experiences of Pastor Artur Paw?owski. This man was once a zealous Catholic who was preparing to enter the convent. However, after what he saw in this order, he departed from Catholic religious practice and began to lead a very sinful life. At some point, however, his son fell ill with some very serious disease and at that time Artur Paw?owski experienced various visions of the life and death of Jesus. Soon after these visions, his son was completely and permanently healed in an inexplicable way for medicine. Today, Artur Paw?owski is a Protestant pastor who vows never to attend the Catholic Mass, etc. Here are some examples of film materials with his participation:

What do you think about this?

Ps. Sorry for my bad English

Michael Wilson

God does not contradict Himself; any miracle that proves the truth of a false religion is by definition a false miracle or as Sacred Scripture puts it: "A lying wonder". How can God lead a man to the mass of contradictions and falsehoods of Protestantism? The Protestants cannot agree among themselves what their doctrines are; evidently a totally bogus religion.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Demons can easily produce what appears to be a divine miracle.

This is why we do not base our faith on carnival tricks, and we do not canonize our imaginations.
this page left intentionally blank