The Church Courtyard > Ask a Traditionalist

Catholicism and Thelema

(1/6) > >>

dellery:
Yeah, I know this title is pretty strange, but somebody recently told me that I'm a Thelemite. This is deeply troubling to me because I've never intentionally embraced anything "occult".

The comment was in response to me telling an individual about my calling in life, and there wasn't enough time for him to elaborate on his comment.

I have always been called to war, and am unable to ignore it. Every morning I pray that Our Lady act as my Commander and that She gives me the courage to follow Her orders. This is what I live for. No woman, no friends, no nothing, other than the fight. Not much sin in my life or on my hands. I constantly work out, practice with my gun, brutally test myself, and have brought myself to a level of lethality most can not comprehend. This has also driven me to absorb all kinds of strange knowledge and ideas in an effort to always understand what the enemies of our Faith are up to.
Laugh all you want, but it is true, and I'm serious. 
This is why I'm supposedly a Thelemite.

I've never read anything from Crowley, and already have a queue of books that I don't want to interrupt to go chasing after why this comment was made to me.

Call me crazy, accuse me of being on acid, I really don't care.
If somebody here could tell me how all the above makes me a Thelemite, or why this comment may have been made to me, it will be immensely appreciated.

Hopefully, Kaese will lock and delete this thread if it gets too weird.

Thanks.
Sincerely, d.

DigitalLogos:
I mean, there's a little bit of pride and vainglory in the way you describe your regimen (recognized out of charity, not to insult you). But I don't see anything that would pertain to "Do What Thou Wilt is the whole of the Law".

I don't think you're a Thelemite just because you have some vain curiosity with the occult. I myself went down that rabbit hole for about a year, and learned a lot of things I wish I hadn't. But that doesn't make someone a practitioner of the occult or a Thelemite. Admittedly, I read Crowley's "Book of the Law" way back in High School and attempted to embody it. But, honestly, most people embody his teaching these days and could be called "pseudo-Thelemites" because they run after their own wills rather than submit to the Will of God.

So, unless your explorations of occult knowledge have branched into actually trying to embody and practice their arts, I don't see how anyone could label you a Thelemite just for that. Just be careful with the things you're reading about and seek out the counsel of your confessor. It can have an effect on you without you immediately realizing it. That's why I had to put away such things myself.

God bless.

Melkor:

--- Quote from: dellery on June 02, 2021, 10:17:37 PM ---Yeah, I know this title is pretty strange, but somebody recently told me that I'm a Thelemite. This is deeply troubling to me because I've never intentionally embraced anything "occult".

The comment was in response to me telling an individual about my calling in life, and there wasn't enough time for him to elaborate on his comment.

I have always been called to war, and am unable to ignore it. Every morning I pray that Our Lady act as my Commander and that She gives me the courage to follow Her orders. This is what I live for. No woman, no friends, no nothing, other than the fight. Not much sin in my life or on my hands. I constantly work out, practice with my gun, brutally test myself, and have brought myself to a level of lethality most can not comprehend. This has also driven me to absorb all kinds of strange knowledge and ideas in an effort to always understand what the enemies of our Faith are up to.
Laugh all you want, but it is true, and I'm serious. 
This is why I'm supposedly a Thelemite.

I've never read anything from Crowley, and already have a queue of books that I don't want to interrupt to go chasing after why this comment was made to me.

Call me crazy, accuse me of being on acid, I really don't care.
If somebody here could tell me how all the above makes me a Thelemite, or why this comment may have been made to me, it will be immensely appreciated.

Hopefully, Kaese will lock and delete this thread if it gets too weird.

Thanks.
Sincerely, d.

--- End quote ---

They were probably jealous. That sounds awesome. Everyone is different, God made you that way and you are trying to save your soul. Don't pay attention, keep on doing your thing. :cheeseheadbeer:

Insanis:

--- Quote from: dellery on June 02, 2021, 10:17:37 PM ---Call me crazy, accuse me of being on acid, I really don't care.

--- End quote ---

You might be crazy, or devoted to a specific calling, but I see no reason to accuse you or even suspect you of being a Thelema follower.

Sometimes, accusations are spurious. I have no idea what you described would be perceived that way. Maybe they had a gross misunderstanding of you or focused on a single sentence you might have said. I don't know.

But I don't think you have to worry about that accusation.

dellery:

--- Quote from: DigitalLogos on June 02, 2021, 10:24:49 PM ---I mean, there's a little bit of pride and vainglory in the way you describe your regimen (recognized out of charity, not to insult you). But I don't see anything that would pertain to "Do What Thou Wilt is the whole of the Law".

I don't think you're a Thelemite just because you have some vain curiosity with the occult. I myself went down that rabbit hole for about a year, and learned a lot of things I wish I hadn't. But that doesn't make someone a practitioner of the occult or a Thelemite. Admittedly, I read Crowley's "Book of the Law" way back in High School and attempted to embody it. But, honestly, most people embody his teaching these days and could be called "pseudo-Thelemites" because they run after their own wills rather than submit to the Will of God.

So, unless your explorations of occult knowledge have branched into actually trying to embody and practice their arts, I don't see how anyone could label you a Thelemite just for that. Just be careful with the things you're reading about and seek out the counsel of your confessor. It can have an effect on you without you immediately realizing it. That's why I had to put away such things myself.

God bless.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. A lot of effort goes into what I do and it can be a source of vanity. Never have I tried to embody anything from the Occult. Admittedly, I'm embarrassed to go to my priest about this.

How does submitting to God's Will have anything to do with Thelema?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version