Two World Views

Started by james03, January 06, 2024, 10:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

1.  Life sucks, and then you die.

2.  Life is a blessing, and then you go to heaven.

We are Catholic.  The Forgotten Virtue of Hope leads us to "2".
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Michael Wilson

Yes, essentially even the Crosses and trials of this life when with the grace of God, we bear them patiently and for the Love of God, are a blessing, and the means of our sanctification.
Life does "suck" for all those who make of this world and the things of this world, their whole purpose in life; for these people, everything that they placed all their hopes for happiness in; comes to and end sooner or latter; there is no more. Except an eternity of misery in Hell. 
Very good, James. -
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 07, 2024, 10:32:28 AMYes, essentially even the Crosses and trials of this life when with the grace of God, we bear them patiently and for the Love of God, are a blessing, and the means of our sanctification.
Life does "suck" for all those who make of this world and the things of this world, their whole purpose in life; for these people, everything that they placed all their hopes for happiness in; comes to and end sooner or latter; there is no more. Except an eternity of misery in Hell. 
Very good, James. -

Un "Muy bien, burn dicho" a ti también, Señor.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Melkite

I would adjust it to "Life sucks. Period." for 1 and 2, and then 1 is you die and, presumably, go to hell, or 2, yet you find things in life to be grateful to God for and, presumably, go to heaven.

From personal experience, the mindset that life suck and there's nothing that can be done about, while still perceiving God's love for you, is perhaps the most hellish experience one can experience in this life.  I have never experienced more torment than knowing that God loved me no matter what, not wanting it, and knowing with absolutely certainty I could never escape it.

red solo cup

Being human is to suffer. When we suffer we participate in Christ's salvation.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

james03

And by choosing to suffer, especially for what is righteous, we love God, whom we only see through a veil.  And if by God's Mercy we go to heaven, then this will be a great treasure in heaven.

Thus life is a gift.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Heinrich

Quote from: Heinrich on January 07, 2024, 10:39:05 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 07, 2024, 10:32:28 AMYes, essentially even the Crosses and trials of this life when with the grace of God, we bear them patiently and for the Love of God, are a blessing, and the means of our sanctification.
Very good, James. -

Un "Muy bien, buen dicho" a ti también, Señor.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

My Faith is being tried now like never before. Brutal. Suffering is very hard for me.

james03

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Heinrich on January 09, 2024, 07:06:02 PMMy Faith is being tried now like never before. Brutal. Suffering is very hard for me.
Its hard for everyone; we can't escape it, but accepting it and uniting our sufferings with that of Our Lord's, makes the Crosses bearable. Also as St. Louis de Montfort tells us in his "Friends of the Cross", we may licitly pray for the crosses to be removed, or if not, that they may be made more bearable.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Heinrich on January 09, 2024, 07:06:02 PMMy Faith is being tried now like never before. Brutal. Suffering is very hard for me.

:pray1: Ave for you homie
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Michael Wilson

For Hienrich (a dear friend) and for Melkite,  :pray2:  :pray2:

james03

Prayers for Hienrich and Melkite.

Michael

"If there is a God, He will have to beg my forgiveness." — A phrase that was carved on the walls of a concentration camp cell during WWII by a Jewish prisoner.

God replies: "Apokatastasis. Please forgive me."

Melkite

Thank you for the prayers, Michael Wilson and James.  To clarify, though, I haven't been at that point for a few years now.  I used to go to my church, light a candle by the icon of the Theotokos in the back of the church and pray that God would have mercy on me and let me cease to exist when I died.  It was the only thing I could hope for. I couldn't imagine ever being free from suffering.  Thankfully, God and the Theotokos pulled me out of that slump.  Life sucks, but God loves us and there is so much in the world to be thankful for that, if it doesn't completely cancel out the suffering, it at least makes it bearable most of the time.