Going to NO Mass

Started by Lirael, January 05, 2013, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirael

First, I'd like to establish rules for this post so that we can all stay on topic:

1. Do not post why you think NO mass is not valid.
2. Do not post why the NO mass is inferior to TLM.
3. Do not post that I should avoid NO mass if I can't attend TLM for the Sunday obligation.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way...

Occasionally, I go to NO mass because the TLM time conflicts with my schedule. For example, this happened on Christmas because my family wanted me to go to NO mass with them and when I promised my mom I would drive my grandmother to an appointment on Sunday morning, not realizing it conflicted with TLM time.

So in these cases, what should I do at NO mass? Should I actively participate or remain silent (like: singing the responsorials/"hymns", shaking hands at sign of peace, praying the Lord's Prayer out loud, etc.)? Additionally, what is the proper way to receive Communion at NO mass since there is no altar rail? Should Communion be received at all? If so, do I need to say amen?

Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

Mithrandylan

Well, per your request I won't address the first two of your points (the third need not be addressed anyways since it logically follows from answering the first two of those points).

I gather from your post that you disagree with those three points you outlined.  If this is the case, why are you scrupulous and asking strangers on the internet whether or not you should follow the customs of the rite?  By asking those questions you are implicitly begging for the first two points of the three to be addressed.

Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

OCLittleFlower

I agree with Mith.

However, when I am forced to attend NO mass -- generally for family reasons such as a wedding -- I do not go up for Communion.  The lack of a paten makes me uncomfortable -- the Eucharist could drop.  (Jury's still out on validity for me -- but better safe than sorry.  And yes, I know you didn't want us to go into that...)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Lirael on January 05, 2013, 02:27:05 PM
So in these cases, what should I do at NO mass? Should I actively participate or remain silent (like: singing the responsorials/"hymns", shaking hands at sign of peace, praying the Lord's Prayer out loud, etc.)?
I am as passive and focused on prayer as I can be.

It has been a while, but I generally avoid engaging in any non-traditional practices including the high fives of peace, singing (not that I sing otherwise), or being active in any other way.

Participating at Mass does not mean "doing stuff", so there is no fear there about doing anything wrong.

Additionally, what is the proper way to receive Communion at NO mass since there is no altar rail?

On the rare occasion that I have done this, I do it kneeling and on the tongue according to what I have always done. Receiving on the tongue is how we do it in the Roman Rite.

Should Communion be received at all? If so, do I need to say amen?
I only receive from a priest and I do not speak although I do pray before and after internally.

Remember, one is receiving a Sacrament. I do not receive the Blessed Sacrament as much as most people generally do, so on the rare occasion I attend the NO (less than once a year now), I do not receive, however, it is not when I otherwise would have received. If one has a regular practice, is engaging in a particular devotion which includes reception of the Blessed Sacrament, I would do receive in that case if it are not major issues (for that sake of that, a lack of communion rail and general practice of receiving in the hand are not major issues).

Penelope

As you know, Lirael, I teach at an NO school, so the only time I attend NO Masses anymore is at school (and we all know that school Masses are the worst). When we have Mass at school, I just try to pretend as though I'm not there. I cross my arms, cast my eyes downward, and pray, "How much longer, Lord? Please, please return the Church to tradition." I don't respond aloud or sing the "hymns" and I try not to shake hands during the sign of peace (although sometimes the students force their hands in my direction, so I just suck it up and shake their hands). I definitely don't receive Communion, though. I can't veil at school Masses (oh, the issues that would cause) and I wouldn't receive the Eucharist in a situation where I wasn't veiled and couldn't kneel. Also, because they don't use a paten, who knows what little bits of Our Lord might be on the floor. I don't want to take the risk of stepping on Him, so I feel safer in my seat.

If I ever have to attend a non-school NO in the future, I'd veil, but I still wouldn't receive Communion, for the same reason given above. I think, though, that in the past, we've both had the experience of the priest saying "Amen" for us when receiving at the NO, so I would just go with not saying anything at all.

Lateran

Quote from: Lirael on January 05, 2013, 02:27:05 PM
So in these cases, what should I do at NO mass? yes to meet a/the obligation

Should I actively participate or remain silent (like: singing the responsorials/"hymns", shaking hands at sign of peace, praying the Lord's Prayer out loud, etc.)? Depends on comfort levels, although I will not shake or hold hands.

Additionally, what is the proper way to receive Communion at NO mass since there is no altar rail? Comfort levels again or not receive at all. Should Communion be received at all?

If so, do I need to say amen? Yes, but if you don't it's fine, although the Priest and/or EMHC might say it for you if you don't--- so be prepared

tmw89

Lirael, your best bet is to

1. Stay in the back,
2. Pray - unite your intention(s) to the priest's, and
3. Not receive communion.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Lirael

I hope Kaese responds soon. I'm curious to see what he thinks!
Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

TerrorDæmonum

In case one does not see it, the "trad line" is based on there being doctrinal, moral, and particular issues with the Novus Ordo in how it is written, and how it is commonly celebrated. There are two sets of concerns, and the biggest set for most people seems to be all the "extra" stuff we get at the NO. If it was just the NO, without special additions, it would be quite similar to the TLM in terms of how the congregation is.

If a NO has the vernacular being used, communion in the hand, and other things like that, I think going along with it is not acceptable and one has to be careful. One can choose to do things like others, but only after considering it and its effects. The high fives of peace are contrary to the actual Roman Rite "sign of peace" which is exchanged (and present in the TLM in some cases).

And there are the doctrinal concerns.