Did the Meaning of the Dogma of the Filioque Change in the Medieval Church?

Started by Justin Martyr, October 04, 2022, 09:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

Goldfinch started a thread in the "prayer" section a while back for J.M. He sure does need our prayers. He is definitely a good man, but very confused.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

AlNg

Quote from: james03 on November 22, 2022, 09:38:58 PM
And the Orthodox have their absurd heretical teaching on 3 divorces, such that I can't take them seriously.
They do? I thought it was 2 divorces and 3 marriages allowed? The Roman Church has a teaching on marriage annulments. When considered and implemented properly, as was done in 1929, when there were 9 marriage annulments allowed in the US, it is a reasonable teaching. However, the current practice of giving out marriage annulments for flimsy reasons, has been called into question by Cardinal Kasper and others. Yes, there is a semantic difference. But is the current American Catholic practice of granting marriage annulments that much different operationally from the Orthodox practice?

james03

You're asking on a Trad forum if the current novus ordo policy on annulment is BS?

QuoteWhen considered and implemented properly, as was done in 1929, when there were 9 marriage annulments allowed in the US, it is a reasonable teaching.
Not only is it reasonable, it is biblical.  The Lord said that except in the case of fornication, divorce and remarriage results in adultery.  There are 2 interpretations:

1.  A general statement on annulment in general, as fornication is the sex between unmarried people.

2.  A reference to the jewish fornication test spelled out in the Old Testament (I'm not looking it up.).  Anyhow failing the test allowed a husband to file for divorce at the temple.

As far as 2 divorces/3 marriages, you're probably correct.  I simply don't care because whatever the number it is absurd.

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

AlfredtheGreat

I left the Church many years ago and actually wound up in Orthodoxy for a time. Unfortunately I think a lot of disaffected Catholics see Orthodoxy as a stalwart foundation resisting all attempts at modernization of either liturgy, theology or morality. Nothing could be further from the truth. The beautiful liturgy often masks the fact that Orthodoxy has almost completely capitulated to the culture of Death. Most parishes are filled with political and religious liberals. Support for legalized abortion is common. Many priests and bishops allow birth control under the guise of 'economia', which if you ask me is nothing more than situational ethics. I once heard a priest state from the amvon that abortion was "unfortunately sometimes necessary." Open and practicing sodomites are not uncommonly given communion.

I found Orthodoxy, at least Orthodoxy in America, to be spineless and terrified of ever 'offending'. Some jurisdictions such as the OCA harbor heretical lunatics like "bishop" Lev Puhalo who openly advocates for trans sexualism and sodomy.

I think one of the problems with American Orthodoxy is that most jurisdictions are filled with ex Protestants who bring their heretical baggage with them. Outside of ROCOR and old calendar jurisdictions American Orthodoxy is largely a fraud dressed in pretty vestments and ritual.

This all is not to even mention the fact that Orthodox theology can be difficult to nail down since they do not see the Gospel or Christianity the way we do. It's a completely different mindset which, if you aren't raised in it, just isn't going to make a whole lot of sense to a Roman mind. And on Ecclesiology it's little better than Protestantism. There is no final court of appeal on doctrinal matters. No one source to declare that this or that is heretical or not. I've come to see the wisdom, even if it doesn't always seem like it works, of having a place where everyone knows the buck stops.

If Justin is still reading this thread I would caution against thinking that Orthodoxy is the solution. At least in my case that isn't what I found.
These people are crazy

truly-a-philosofan

Quote from: Justin Martyr on October 04, 2022, 05:03:03 PM
And what about St. Maximus who predates Damascene? He was very familiar with the Latin Fathers yet says they understood the filioque in a way that is mutually exclusive with Florence and the Frankish development. Do you know if there are any Latin Fathers that would help demonstrate St. Maximus to be in error (or anything that would demonstrate his letter to Marinus to be a forgery)?

Based on my understanding of the Catholic response to this objection of yours: Both the eastern fathers were not contradicting Florence, but only taught that the Son being the Cause of the Spirit does not exclude the Father's uniqueness as the sole Cause of the entire Godhead, nor cancel out the Son's unique term of relation with the Father as the begotten.
Christ as the Source of all beauty:
« What surprised him (Blessed Henry Suso) most was to see Eternal Wisdom now under the aspect of a young maiden, the prodigy of heavenly and earthly beauty; now under the form of a young man whose countenance reflected all the beauties to be found on earth. »
St. Louis de Monfort, The Love of Eternal Wisdom, Chapter 11, no. 132.

truly-a-philosofan

Okay just found out the OP has been [rightly] kicked out. But still, just needed to put out a response to a Photian/Cerularian/anti—Filioquist objection.
Christ as the Source of all beauty:
« What surprised him (Blessed Henry Suso) most was to see Eternal Wisdom now under the aspect of a young maiden, the prodigy of heavenly and earthly beauty; now under the form of a young man whose countenance reflected all the beauties to be found on earth. »
St. Louis de Monfort, The Love of Eternal Wisdom, Chapter 11, no. 132.

Jean Carrier

As much as I hate to necro a thread, there's alot of overly simplistic, polemical theology argued by the OP whom unfortunately apostatised. The linked video below more than suffices to demonstrate the half-truths and falsehoods that underlie the arguments which attempt to deny that the Filioque is a dogma taught by Sacred Tradition and the Cappadocians:

https://www.youtube.com/live/JaFySO2gHzA?feature=share

As for Constantinople 879, Pope John VIII explicitly only approved this local council and the decision of his legates insofar as both agreed with his original instructions to said legates and insofar as both were in accord with Sacred Tradition - something I noticed was intentionally snipped from the citations of John VIII.  So he definitely did not approve of Photius' condemnation of the Filioque at said Council anymore than Pope St. Leo approved of Canon 28 of Chalcedon.

Hopefully this information can be of use to any lurkers or users who stumble upon this thread while looking through old posts.
All mankind was in the ark with Noah : all the Church is with me on the rock of Pensicola!
- Pope St. Benedict XIII, in response to the emissaries of Anti-Emperor Sigismund and the Conciliarist Council of Constance who demanded his resignation