2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Started by Geremia, May 06, 2017, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerEvangelicaDicta

I like this site Geremia.  Thank you!
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Greg

Does anyone live in the Path of Totality?

I saw the 1999 Eclipse in Cornwall.  Was a moving experience.

It made me feel like a cosmically insignificant flea, on the back of a gnat who is sucking on the blood of the Giant Donkey being ridden up and down the super-intergalactic highway whilst being fed toffee-apple supernovas.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Here is a detailed path of totality across the US, but I've not yet found it for outside the US.
http://www.space.com/35080-total-solar-eclipse-2017-path-maps.html

Greatest duration:
http://eclipsewise.com/solar/SEnews/TSE2017/TSE2017fig//TSE2017-usa.jpg
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Greg

I can save your time.  Outside of the US you won't see it.

The shadow of an eclipse touches down (in this case in the Pacific  near Oregon), sweeps across the US and then lifts back up over the Atlantic off the coast of Florida.  No other country is in the path.

The swath of the shadow will touch the United States for only 1h 33m 16.8s - less than the length of a short movie! But in that time, many, many people in our country will have had their perceptions, and their lives, changed forever. It's that kind of a sight. Please plan to be there, in the path, together with a few hundred thousand other converts! You'll be joining many thousands of your fellow citizens in asking "When's the next one?"!

And that's it. From there, the Moon's shadow continues on, out over the Atlantic Ocean, not to touch any more land before deftly lifting off the earth's surface near Africa about 75 minutes after it left the US. The shadow, that excited so many people in our great country, will continue out over open water for another hour and a quarter, travelling farther over the great expanse of blue than it did over our land. It will impress no more people in this part of its journey, but it will have left in its wake a new generation of eclipse-addicts, and a bevy of newly-fixed veteran junkies - all of whom will be hugging each other, replaying the spectacular movie of totality in their minds, and promising themselves and each other to be present for the next one - no matter where, no matter when.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

Anyone live in Carbondale IL ?

Carbondale is in the path of totality for not one, but two total solar eclipses. The first total solar eclipse over the U.S. since 1979 will reach its point of greatest duration on Aug. 21, 2017, just a few miles south of Carbondale. The next solar eclipse will happen on April 8, 2024. The centerlines of totality for both these eclipses intersect over Carbondale's Cedar Lake.

For more information on this astronomical event (pun intended!) visit the homepage, Eclipse.siu.edu. Also, Carbondale will be hosting several events leading up to the Eclipse visit CarbondaleEclipse.com . Events are already underway, visit the schedule here.

Also, Astronomy Magazine has featured Carbondale as the eclipse epicenter several times...check out this article on 25 Things You Should Know about the 2017 Eclipse.

Gardener

Quote from: Greg on May 10, 2017, 01:43:45 PM

The shadow of an eclipse touches down (in this case in the Pacific  near Oregon), sweeps across the US and then lifts back up over the Atlantic off the coast of Florida.  No other country is in the path.

The swath of the shadow will touch the United States for only 1h 33m 16.8s - less than the length of a short movie! But in that time, many, many people in our country will have had their perceptions, and their lives, changed forever. It's that kind of a sight. Please plan to be there, in the path, together with a few hundred thousand other converts! You'll be joining many thousands of your fellow citizens in asking "When's the next one?"!

And that's it. From there, the Moon's shadow continues on, out over the Atlantic Ocean, not to touch any more land before deftly lifting off the earth's surface near Africa about 75 minutes after it left the US. The shadow, that excited so many people in our great country, will continue out over open water for another hour and a quarter, travelling farther over the great expanse of blue than it did over our land. It will impress no more people in this part of its journey, but it will have left in its wake a new generation of eclipse-addicts, and a bevy of newly-fixed veteran junkies - all of whom will be hugging each other, replaying the spectacular movie of totality in their minds, and promising themselves and each other to be present for the next one - no matter where, no matter when.

So the gods must be angry w/ America, then?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Maximilian

Quote from: Greg on May 08, 2017, 03:21:27 PM

I saw the 1999 Eclipse in Cornwall.  Was a moving experience.

Based on your experience, where do you think is the best kind of location to experience this? Country, city, etc.? If I were going to travel to be in the path of the eclipse, what is the best kind of place to choose?

Akavit

I know someone that lives in Carbondale.  He's a blacksmith.  It would take me about 5-6 hours to drive there.

Looks like I'll get to see a nearly 90% eclipse.

Greg

Well you definitely want to be in the path of totality.  Don't mess around with the 99 percent zone because 1 percent is still lots of light.  In the totality zone when the sun is fully covered it is like God turns a dimmer switch.  The light drops dramatically and the temperature too.  It's spooky.  It you are on a hilltop with 360 views you can see sunset in all directions.  You can see the shadow of the moon move across the earth like one of those huge spaceships in Independence Day.

I was in a Cornish Campsite on a hill with a bunch of middle class hippies and assortment of the unwashed.  Someone had some classic music playing.  The funniest thing of all was at the moment of peak awe a little kid of maybe 4 or 5 years old suddenly piped up and asked, "Dad, is this the eclipse?"  Everyone laughed.

Greg

Quote from: Gardener on May 10, 2017, 05:16:01 PM
Quote from: Greg on May 10, 2017, 01:43:45 PM

So the gods must be angry w/ America, then?

I guess so. The 2017 and 2024 paths make the shape of a X like you are being crossed out.  ;)

Elizabeth