Diurnale Romanum Pocket Edition

Started by EcceQuamBonum, January 04, 2013, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcceQuamBonum

Saw this at RC and thought I'd pass it along in case anyone missed it/is interested:

May consider investing in one.  I'd like to have a little diurnal I could take along with me to pray the little hours during the day so that I don't have to tote my full breviary everywhere.  Will let you know what it's like if I get one.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/01/pocket-sized-diurnale-romanum.html

QuoteA truly useful liturgical publication  has recently come our way - not exactly a new book, but a new version of an old acquaintance: the Diurnale Romanum (the day hours of the Breviarium Romanum). Its original version, in perfect accordance with the 1960 rubrics, is well known, and loved by many in Traditional communities - see reviews for it here and here, for instance. This large original version is 4 1/2 x 7 1/2 in, and, as it is quite bulky, it seems to defeat one of the main purposes of a Diurnale.

Now, a new version of this Diurnale is available in 3 1/4 x 5 1/4 in, or 8.5 x 13.5 cm, slightly smaller than a 32mo and about an inch thick, a truly pocket-sized version. While the original version has a hard cloth cover and clumsy square corners (in the cover), the new pocket-size comes in a flexible leatherette cover, with rounded corners. The typesetting is exactly the same as in the larger version, in the appropriate red and black printing. The only drawbacks in our opinion are that, differently from the larger version, the first pages with repeated prayers are not in heavier/thicker paper, and that it still comes with only four ribbons - one or two more would be welcome . Some kind of cover or slip would also be much appreciated. In any event, this little book is a great gift for a traditional priest, or for any layman who prays the hours, as long as they have reasonable eyesight (the printing is excellent and wonderfully readable, but naturally the letters are smaller than what many prefer).

We have no idea if a bilingual Latin-English version, similar to the Latin-German one mentioned by us here in the past, is being planned by any publishing house.

[The small Diurnale is available online, as far as we are aware, only in the bookstore/boutique of the Abbey of Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux - as Diurnale Romanum (format poche), but the image does not exactly match the actual book. The larger version is widely available. As usual, this is a disinterested post, and the book was bought.]
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Kaesekopf

Part of me wants to get the German-Latin diurnale.  :D
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

Roughly $50 isn't too bad for that Diurnale, EQB.  I might have to order a copy, Breviary nut that I am.

...but if only they'd print a pocket Matins book in Latin as well!  So little love for Matins these days...
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: tmw89 on January 05, 2013, 08:07:50 PM
Roughly $50 isn't too bad for that Diurnale, EQB.  I might have to order a copy, Breviary nut that I am.

...but if only they'd print a pocket Matins book in Latin as well!  So little love for Matins these days...

Why do you need Matins when you can have the Office of Readings?!?  Elitist.   ;D
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

tmw89

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 05, 2013, 08:11:49 PM
Quote from: tmw89 on January 05, 2013, 08:07:50 PM

Why do you need Matins when you can have the Office of Readings?!?  Elitist.   ;D

Oh yes... silly me, why bother with all those long psalms and patristic readings when I could form a circle with my brothers and sisters in Christ, read aloud from the Office of Readings (maybe the soon-to-be appended sermons of Martin Luther) and talk about how Scripture relates to me and my feelings, and we should all just get along??

#soundslegit
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

joe17

For a Latin-English Diurnale, there was one put out in '56.  I had one, but somehow I misplaced it a few years ago.  If you see one for sale, especially for short money(even $50 is low for this), then I would grab it.

Joe

p.s.  Also recently put out by a German press(I believe) is an exact reprint of the last full Roman Rituale, published in 1957.  I think it is going for about $90 US.  If it is an exact duplication, it can be useful since the old ones are getting worn out.  I suppose that Summorum Pontificum from the Vatican has had some influence in its publication.