Beginning theology books.

Started by Machaut1377, July 25, 2013, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machaut1377

MilesChristi

If you want an overview of scholastic theology compared to modern philosophy, I would reccomend two of Feser's books:
One titled: Aquinas, and the other the Last Superstition: A refutation of the New Atheism

They do a good job of condensing much of Aquinas' teachings into simpler language so to speak.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Machaut1377

LouisIX

If you have not yet read some introductory books on philosophy I cannot urge you enough to do so before delving into theology.  It is impossible to understand Catholic theology without the framework that Aristotelian philosophy provides.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

GloriaPatri

Quote from: LouisIX on July 29, 2013, 01:03:27 AM
If you have not yet read some introductory books on philosophy I cannot urge you enough to do so before delving into theology.  It is impossible to understand Catholic theology without the framework that Aristotelian philosophy provides.

Agreed. I would recommend Mortimer Adler's Aristotle Made Easy as a good, basic introduction to Aristotle's philosophy. From there you can go onto his other works on philosophy, along with Feser's works, and look over some of Copelston's History of Philosophy volumes.

I would also recommend both the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, along with the less academic Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, to get a solid run down of Aristotle's ideas.