Essence-Energy distinction: A Question

Started by GloriaPatri, June 01, 2013, 07:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloriaPatri

I know that Palamas' essence-energy distinction has found little favor amongst western theologians, mainly because it seems to violate divine simplicity. Does anyone know of any possible attempts to rehabilitate Palamas' thought into Catholic theology?

VeraeFidei

Quote from: GloriaPatri on June 01, 2013, 07:12:02 PM
I know that Palamas' essence-energy distinction has found little favor amongst western theologians, mainly because it seems to violate divine simplicity. Does anyone know of any possible attempts to rehabilitate Palamas' thought into Catholic theology?
Goodness, I hope not. I cannot see how that would be possible. Palamas is basically pagan. I came across an excellent Catholic website directly at EO's once - explained the errors of Palamism, and tried to direct those in EO who do not agree with Palamism to Holy Mother Church.

GloriaPatri

Thank you for your reply Verae. I recall reading somewhere that Palams' though could be rehabilitated and made compatible with scholastic ontology if the distinction made was a logical one, and not a formal one. But I can not remember where I read that unfortunately.

VeraeFidei

Quote from: GloriaPatri on June 04, 2013, 07:42:59 PM
Thank you for your reply Verae. I recall reading somewhere that Palams' though could be rehabilitated and made compatible with scholastic ontology if the distinction made was a logical one, and not a formal one. But I can not remember where I read that unfortunately.
You're welcome. I really wish I could re-find the website to which I referred, but thus far I am unable. I may try again later.