Standing during Pater Noster?

Started by Apollonia, October 31, 2014, 10:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moneil

Quote from: Gardener on October 31, 2014, 03:26:48 PM

I'm under the impression that, that handout is erroneous and fabricated from thin air at some point in the last whatever years. Something about the disconnect of posture during Low vs High being novel.

http://www.mycatholicsource.com/mcs/ua/Flier_Latin_Mass_Postures.pdf of "When to Sit, Stand & Kneel at the Traditional Latin Mass".

That may be, but the "last whatever years" is at least 55 years as the same exact handout was in my 1959 St. Joseph Daily Missal.  My 1951 St. Joseph Daily Missal doesn't have a chart so I can't reference what an older custom may have been.

Apollonia

If I cared about what people thought of me during Mass I would still go to NOM.. I'm just interested in knowing what pleases God most.

rbjmartin

Quote from: Older Salt on November 02, 2014, 06:48:48 AM
Quote from: Sockpuppet on November 01, 2014, 06:13:25 PM
When in Rome do as the Romans.

Don't be that one obnoxious person that insists on kneeling when everyone stands and sits when everyone kneels.
Why?

Who cares, as long as the priest is doing what he is supposed to do?

Various spiritual writers warn against doing things that cause admiratio, i.e. undue wonderment and attention from others. During the liturgy, one may distract others in the congregation by doing things that stand out. These can lead to temptations of pride. For example, if I insist on touching my head to the ground at the consecration (instead of just kneeling or bowing while kneeling) and no one else is doing this, I might have some awareness that others are noticing me do this, and I might find some disordered pleasure in gaining this kind of attention.

Of course one must exercise discretion in guarding against admiratio. For instance, if your congregation consistently doesn't kneel for the final blessing, and you have the good intentions of doing what is liturgically correct AND educating your neighbors, it would be good to kneel. Ultimately, you have to be honest with yourself about your intentions and be aware of inclinations to pride.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: rbjmartin on November 03, 2014, 10:50:44 AM

Don't be that one obnoxious person that insists on kneeling when everyone stands and sits when everyone kneels.
Why?

Various spiritual writers warn against doing things that cause admiratio, i.e. undue wonderment and attention from others. During the liturgy, one may distract others in the congregation by doing things that stand out. These can lead to temptations of pride. For example, if I insist on touching my head to the ground at the consecration (instead of just kneeling or bowing while kneeling) and no one else is doing this, I might have some awareness that others are noticing me do this, and I might find some disordered pleasure in gaining this kind of attention.

Of course one must exercise discretion in guarding against admiratio. For instance, if your congregation consistently doesn't kneel for the final blessing, and you have the good intentions of doing what is liturgically correct AND educating your neighbors, it would be good to kneel. Ultimately, you have to be honest with yourself about your intentions and be aware of inclinations to pride.

Interesting.

When my husband goes to the Novus Ordo, he says the Confiteor and Domine, Non Sum Dignus with exxagerated hand movements.

Gardener

Why?

Indeed. In private prayer whether alone at home, upon saying Our Lord's name, or in an adoration situation when I'm the only one there, I probably look more like a Muslim praying (head to ground) than the Western ideal Catholic. But I refrain from this even around the wife.

I know my pastor has said that one of his favorite prayer positions is prostration, but of course that is in private prayer.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Gardener on November 03, 2014, 11:46:54 AM

Why?

Indeed. In private prayer whether alone at home, upon saying Our Lord's name, or in an adoration situation when I'm the only one there, I probably look more like a Muslim praying (head to ground) than the Western ideal Catholic. But I refrain from this even around the wife.

I know my pastor has said that one of his favorite prayer positions is prostration, but of course that is in private prayer.
I think physical movements were a big part of St. Dominic's prayer life as well.  But I don't think he was trying to be, "That guy."

The Harlequin King

I could levitate during the elevations if I wanted, but I try not to show off.

Gardener

Quote from: The Harlequin King on November 03, 2014, 12:18:34 PM
I could levitate during the elevations if I wanted, but I try not to show off.

I dunno that balancing on your heavily hair-sprayed ponytail is technically levitating...
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

rbjmartin

Quote from: Gardener on November 03, 2014, 11:46:54 AM

Why?

Right on. I do the same thing. Fr. Buckley, FSSP, when he gives his version of the Ignatian "Exercises," actually recommends beginning one's meditation with such a motion (or something similar) to help in putting yourself in the presence of God. I think St. Ignatius may even recommend it in the "Exercises."

rbjmartin

Quote from: JubilateDeo on November 03, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
I think physical movements were a big part of St. Dominic's prayer life as well.  But I don't think he was trying to be, "That guy."

Right, which is why I made the comment about discretion. The saints will always have their peculiarities. This is inevitable if one is so detached from human respect and so focused on the divine. Just look at St. Phillip Neri.