TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on August 09, 2013, 02:09:32 AM
I definitely plan on it.

I don't know what it is about Cheers that I like so much.  It's not overly funny.  It's not exciting.  And it's not nostalgia, because I was only 6 or 7 when it ended, and never watched it as a child.  There's just something about the bar and the characters that I find comforting.  Watching Cheers puts me in a good mood.

Yeah, I can understand that.  For me, though, a bit of it is nostalgia.  I remember being really little and wanting to watch Cheers with my parents before going to bed.  I assume it was in syndication at that point.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Othmar

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 09, 2013, 01:45:01 PM
I have a couple of solutions: first is the old-fashioned way by checking them out at a local public library. I created a library account for myself just last week. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.
Remembering my experience with Harry Potter back in the day, they'll probably be lent out. That is if the library even has them.

One thing they did have was a very worn ancient translation of Lord of the Rings, and the only Dutch translation with the appendices included I've ever seen. I stumbled upon it while I was looking for Narnia, which they didn't have.

Quote:edited to add: I just remembered that you're not American, so shipping will not be the same.
Shipping from America to Belgium is horrible. I once purchased the D&D core books from Amazon, and they were confiscated by Customs. Cost some time and money to get them back.

QuoteYou might, however, find similar deals in your region. I also don't know if you prefer to read in the original English or in translation. So those are more variables.
I've checked already. People tend to ask ridiculous prices. The original translations were quite obscure. I remember being unable to find them some 7 years ago, after people recommended them. The Belgian-Dutch book market is rather lousy for fantasy.

Once the TV series is over and done with, people will probably sell their copies. By then, I'll have forgotten the details of the plot and will probably enjoy the books even more. Everyone wins.  ;D

Der Kaiser

Quote from: piabee on August 09, 2013, 03:43:01 PM
I have two episodes of Breaking Bad left! Been hearing a lot lately about a British show call Broadchurch which just started airing on BBCA this past week. I set it to record at my parents' house for laundry days so I'll let you know how it is.

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 08, 2013, 09:25:33 PMAll the girls I know think Sheldon is hot except for the one that prefers Leonard .

Your friends are weird. Sheldon is hilarious but how could anyone consider an overgrown child attractive?

No argument there. And probably for the same reason most men find bimbos attactive. I admit Penny is hot. She is a bimbo par excellence.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

piabee

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 09, 2013, 10:09:00 PM
No argument there. And probably for the same reason most men find bimbos attactive. I admit Penny is hot. She is a bimbo par excellence.

But at least she is a functional adult.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: piabee on August 09, 2013, 11:04:10 PM

True, but the guys work at a University they have Doctorates. They can't be that bad off. Which is why I have always found the idea of Sheldon and Leonard sharing an apartment ludicrous. Not many College professors I know of who need a room mate for a crappy apt.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

LouisIX

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 10, 2013, 01:01:54 AM
Quote from: piabee on August 09, 2013, 11:04:10 PM

True, but the guys work at a University they have Doctorates. They can't be that bad off. Which is why I have always found the idea of Sheldon and Leonard sharing an apartment ludicrous. Not many College professors I know of who need a room mate for a crappy apt.

You might be surprised.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

I know a number of engineers who live at home/with their families, primarily to save up money for the future (and they like their families).  They are in the approximate age group the BBT cast is in (in-show, of course). 

As to professors with doctorates, not all of them make bank, especially if they are at certain universities.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 10, 2013, 12:49:38 PM
As to professors with doctorates, not all of them make bank, especially if they are at certain universities.

They only begin to make bank if they're tenured. If one is not on the tenure track, is only a lecturer, or is adjunct, they have no bank.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

piabee

Finished Breaking Bad. Who's watched Friday Night Lights? That's on my list. Five network-length seasons is intimidating, though.

zork

Quote from: piabee on August 10, 2013, 02:31:51 PM
Finished Breaking Bad. Who's watched Friday Night Lights? That's on my list. Five network-length seasons is intimidating, though.

I thought the same thing when I was unsure whether to watch 24 with it's then-current 6 seasons. By Season 5 I had to pace myself because I was devouring the series too fast.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

totiusque

Quote from: vakarian on August 10, 2013, 05:31:45 PM
I thought the same thing when I was unsure whether to watch 24 with it's then-current 6 seasons. By Season 5 I had to pace myself because I was devouring the series too fast.

My wife and I did the same thing with 24, only during Season 3 instead of 6.  It sure didn't take us long to get caught up, as Netflix was sending us 3 DVDs at a time back then.  And speaking of 24, I can't wait 'til May 2014 when the new 12 episodes come out.  I wonder if Jack Bauer will have a walker.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Bonaventure

Who's watched Friday Night Lights? That's on my list.

That's what high school was like. Except it was single ed and NO.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

piabee

I started Mr. Selfridge last night because it was on the TiVo and I had nothing else to do. I have finally come to terms with my love of shopping so  at this point I am way more interested in the historical aspects of the store than in the characters. Also, I am not familiar with Jeremy Piven, so I don't know if he's trying to be American and overacting, or if it just seems like he's American and overacting because it's Masterpiece.

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 10, 2013, 07:38:47 PM
Who's watched Friday Night Lights? That's on my list.

That's what high school was like. Except it was single ed and NO.

Ha, my little bro's comment was "Why did I play football in high school when I could have just watched FNL?"

maryslittlegarden

Anybody else like the  really good BBC stuff?  Like Are You Being Served?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace