Memorable things a teacher has said.

Started by aquinas138, March 20, 2019, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquinas138

Is there anything a teacher you've had said that comes to mind every once in a while? Serious and weighty, or humorous, or otherwise memorable?

I was just grading some Greek homework, and I was taken back to my Advanced Biblical Greek course in grad school and could hear, as clearly as if I were sitting around the table, Father animatedly saying to someone who translated ?????? as "reward" in 1 Cor 3:8, "It's not a 'reward'! It's condign payment!"
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Heinrich

After 4 years, one of my football coaches actually thought my first name was "Dammit!"
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.