My liberal church finally went over the edge.

Started by 2Towers, September 08, 2019, 06:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Towers

I wanted to be Catholic most of my life, and finally became one in 2014.  One of the reasons it took so long was that my father was an Episcopal Priest.  I felt like I would be betraying him, but when it became clear he was an atheist, that took some of the power out of my concerns.  This is the very short version of things.

A crisis finally propelled me into becoming Catholic and life got better right away.  Since then I have been working towards leaving my sinful days behind and becoming more and more converted towards sainthood.  I have made great progress, but I still have a ways to go.  Don't we all.

I found a wonderful church. Adoration at this church is 24 hours.  I feel the presence of Christ there like no where else, I would hate to leave  The priests have been good, the music great [very hard to find]  but clapping and pass the peace leave me cold.  I feel like that is too Protestant. I have nothing against Protestants, I just didn't like being one.  I love being Catholic.

Being a Trad, I usually get a lot of space in the pews.  I look fine.  I just don't do the hands up thing all the time, that is what the priest is supposed to do not me.  I don't do the hand holding thing during the Lord's prayer.  All of this seems to mystify them. The Mass should be solemn and reverent.

This week two things happened, and I am not sure what to do.  .  They have started getting people to put on name tags.  I don't know if it is temporary or permanent.  That flies all over me.  The other thing, they put a page in the newsletter about an "Hour with Father Martin" via facebook in the family life center this week, and a whole big shpeel  about LGBTQ community etc.  I don't want to open that can of worms in this discussion, just that it happened bothers me.

The only Latin Mass in Metro Atlanta is about thirty minutes away.  I have never been to one.  I hate to leave my home Church but I am giving it some thought.  Am I over reacting?  Do they get into hand holding and pass the peace in the Latin mass?

Thanks,
2t
The Kingdom of hope, knows no winter.
-Daniel SG-1

Tales

It is a mere 30 minutes away and you aren't going?  My family travels 90 minutes each way by public transport.

No hand holding, no swaying, no name tags, no LGBTQ, no clapping, no nonsense.

2Towers

I figure they are packed to the rafters.  But maybe they aren't.  Maybe there are that few trads around down here.  I was shocked when the AB invited Fr. Martin to speak at diocesan see in Atlanta.  I didn't realize he was so liberal until the Pope whisked him off to Washington. 

Thanks for responding.
The Kingdom of hope, knows no winter.
-Daniel SG-1

Gardener

If transportation is an issue, contact the parish and see if they have any parishioners who are near your current location -- they almost certainly do. They might be able to arrange some rides for you to check it out.

I met a guy today after Mass who drives with his family 90 minutes to get to the parish.

Only hands I see being held at the TLM are those of little kids trying to escape the pews.

Don't try to "understand" the Mass (who can? It's a mystery!), but rather focus on praying it as best as possible.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

diaduit

There is no hand holding, clapping or anything charismatic like in the Latin mass.  It is quiet and for the most part people have either heads down in prayer or face forward looking at the priest.  I've been to masses where kids have fallen or somebody has knocked over a walking stick and not one head has turned around to see what was the kerfuffle. Mid week mass is even quieter.  NO mass is so full of noise and babble I can never get to finish a Hail Mary never mind actually concentrate on Our Lord in the Tabernacle and I find my mind is muddled/agitated after attending.
Most definitely you will not hear or see anything about LGBTQ issues except solid Catholic doctrine in relation to sin.

awkwardcustomer

The typical Trad Latin Mass is NOT QUIET.  Trads are fond of claiming how mysterious and reverent the TLM is.  But the reality of the TLM these days, particularly Sunday TLMs, is that they are, for me, as noisy and cacophonous as your typical NO Mass.

It's true you won't hear anything in the way of modern theology though.  And perhaps you don't mind praying against a backdrop of constantly crying babies and toddlers having tantrums. 

So give it a go, especially during the week if you can when it tends to be (marginally) quieter.  Get a Missal.  I'm sure it helps to be able to bury your nose in a book to keep out the mayhem going on around you, like people do when they're travelling.

Oh, and take ear plugs, just in case you don't like 'Mass in the Creche'.  It's what I was advised to do on this forum in order to cope with the typical Trad 'Screaming Baby Mass'.

Of course, this kind of noise might not bother you at all.  But if it does, don't dare say anything.  Hell hath no fury .....

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Lynne

By the way, I don't know if this Mass (location) is closer for you...

https://sspx.org/en/st-michaels-church-roswell-atlanta-georgia

Roswell (Atlanta) Georgia
715 Hardscrabble Road,
Roswell (Atlanta), GA 30075
770-992-8171

Confessions:
Sunday 7:30-8:00, 9:00-10:00;
Saturday 9:30-10:00

Mass:
Sunday 8:00 (Low), 10:00 (High)
Tu-Fr 11:00
Sat 9:00
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

spasiisochrani

aquinas138

Quote from: spasiisochrani on September 09, 2019, 06:24:39 AM
You could visit these places, too:

https://archatl.com/places/eastern-rite/

I used to be a parishioner at Epiphany Byzantine in Roswell. It's a good parish, and the new pastor is a wonderful, knowledgable priest. You will not get any nonsense there. There's a good mix of the older Ruthenian/Ukrainian crowd and several younger families. Many are "Roman refugees," some are converts from Protestant and Orthodox backgrounds—you certainly don't have to be from a Slavic background to fit right in. Although, it helps to like Eastern European food! Their founders day picnic is in late September, so that might be a good time to visit.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

St.Justin

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on September 09, 2019, 02:46:29 AM
The typical Trad Latin Mass is NOT QUIET.  Trads are fond of claiming how mysterious and reverent the TLM is.  But the reality of the TLM these days, particularly Sunday TLMs, is that they are, for me, as noisy and cacophonous as your typical NO Mass.

It's true you won't hear anything in the way of modern theology though.  And perhaps you don't mind praying against a backdrop of constantly crying babies and toddlers having tantrums. 

So give it a go, especially during the week if you can when it tends to be (marginally) quieter.  Get a Missal.  I'm sure it helps to be able to bury your nose in a book to keep out the mayhem going on around you, like people do when they're travelling.

Oh, and take ear plugs, just in case you don't like 'Mass in the Creche'.  It's what I was advised to do on this forum in order to cope with the typical Trad 'Screaming Baby Mass'.

Of course, this kind of noise might not bother you at all.  But if it does, don't dare say anything.  Hell hath no fury .....
I hope this was sarcasm as these families with the crying babies are the future of the Faith.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: St.Justin on September 09, 2019, 11:22:59 AM

I hope this was sarcasm as these families with the crying babies are the future of the Faith.

no, he's dead serious. 

clau clau

I was one of those screaming babies once.  I remember the looks my Mum and Dad used to get and the tsk tsk noises.

I sometimes find the screams annoying but I make a deliberate effort not to turn around.  Most of the time the parents will take the child out of the church but sometimes they dont. I just offer it up.  Maybe I miss some of the sermon.  There are plenty of sermons online I can listen to or read.

It reminds me of a comment from G K Chesterton.

G.K. Chesterton once said that his umbrella helped reveal to him why he knew the Catholic Church was for him. He said that whenever he went to the non-Catholic churches, he would customarily leave his umbrella by the back door during the worship service. In these churches, his umbrella would always be there waiting for him when he went back out. But the first time went into a Catholic church to hear Mass, his umbrella disappeared from the back of the church. Someone had stolen it.

His conclusion? If the Catholic church offered such a generous and open doorway to the rabble, being a home for both sinners and saints, then he had indeed found a home where he could also fumble along into the Kingdom. He also added, "Every one on this earth should believe, amid whatever madness or moral failure, that his life and temperament have some object on the earth. Every one on the earth should believe that he has something to give to the world which cannot otherwise be given."
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

St.Justin

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 09, 2019, 12:20:01 PM
Quote from: St.Justin on September 09, 2019, 11:22:59 AM

no, he's dead serious.

The apost;es were rebuked for just such an attitude.

Matthew 19:13 *Then were little children presented to him, that he should lay his hands upon them and pray. And the disciples rebuked them.

14 But Jesus said to them: *Suffer the little children, and forbid them not to come to me: for the kingdom of heaven is for such.

Michael Wilson

My sister attended the Roswell Chapel for many years until she moved to Texas; its a real nice chapel.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

bigbadtrad

Most traditional Masses are quiet worldwide. You won't have any problem kneeling, praying, and thanking God for his grace to attend.

If there is a child screaming, which does happen on occasion, it's not a Novus Ordo irreverence but a family trying to raise their kids.

Awkward's categorization is incredibly rare. Most parents who have kids usually take their kids out of church if they act up.

"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16