Author Topic: Guess who else loves the old Mass?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Neopelagianus

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholicism
Guess who else loves the old Mass?
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »
Bill Murray is not the only celeb in love with the Old Mass

At the Catholic Herald this morning we were surprised to learn that Bill Murray loves the traditional Latin Mass. The Groundhog Day star, who was raised a Catholic and even has a Sister who is a Dominican, told the Guardian: “I think we lost something by losing the Latin… there’s a vibration to those words.”

He is not the only celebrity fan of Mass in its pre-1962 form. Here are five others…

1. Neil Tennant

Tennant, one half of the synth pop duo Pet Shop Boys, though no longer a practising Catholic, told Andrew Sullivan of the Daily Dish: “The thing that I always liked about Catholicism they got rid of! I liked the Latin and the incense and the sort of music and plainsong.”

2. Simon Callow

The English actor, best known among theatre buffs for his mesmerising performance as Mozart in the stage version of Amadeus, told The Catholic Herald this year that growing up he wanted to be a priest. He was inspired, he recalls, by the rituals of the Old Mass, their “beauty and theatrical power”.

3. Jimmy Fallon

Like Simon Callow, the American TV presenter grew up wanting to be a priest but no longer goes to Mass. He told NPR that he tried going back, but “there’s a band there now, and you got to, you have to hold hands with people through the whole Mass now, and I don’t like doing that … I want the old way. I want to hang out with the, you know, with the nuns, you know, that was my favourite type of Mass, and the grotto, and just like straight up, just Mass Mass.”

4. Julian Fellowes

The Downton Abbey writer has been spotted regularly at Extraordinary Form Masses at the Brompton Oratory.

5. Agatha Christie

Even though not a Catholic, Christie signed a petition asking Pope Paul VI to allow the Tridentine Mass, as it was known then, to be celebrated in England and Wales, following the introduction of the Novus Ordo.

Others who signed the petition were Graham Greene, Malcolm Muggeridge, and non-Catholics Nancy Mitford, Iris Murdoch, violinist Yehudi Menuhin, and actor Ralph Richardson.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2014/11/21/five-unlikely-celebrity-fans-of-the-traditional-latin-mass/
Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists. - Saint Pius X

I am a نصارى

"Not to oppose error is to approve it, and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them."
-Pope St. Felix III

"I would rather be a street-sweep rather than be a head of your schismatic church" (Prefiero ser lampazero a ser la cabeza de su jerarquia cismatica)

- Bishop Jorge Imperial Barlin, first native Filipino bishop  to Gregorio Aglipay after the latter offered the him to be the "bishop" of his "church".

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: Guess who else loves the old Mass?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
Leave it to an irreverent Yankee to put it best: "just Mass Mass."
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »

It says a lot, though, about how he (and others like him) consider Mass.  If an average TLM is Mass Mass, what do you think they consider your average NO Mass?...  Not Mass? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:04:19 PM »

It says a lot, though, about how he (and others like him) consider Mass.  If an average TLM is Mass Mass, what do you think they consider your average NO Mass?...  Not Mass?

I hear ya, Chef.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Johnny Midnight

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
well i hope its mass cuz its all i got at the moment. or all i got anyone is willing to take me to.  they frown on an hour and a half drive when theres the same thing (so they say) ten minutes down the road. i tried to explain but they got glassy eyed and i gave up.
"We are all the walking wounded in a world that is a war zone.  Everything we love will be taken from us, everything, last of all life itself."

Offline Neopelagianus

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholicism
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:12:15 AM »

It says a lot, though, about how he (and others like him) consider Mass.  If an average TLM is Mass Mass, what do you think they consider your average NO Mass?... Not Mass?

In some cases wherein the priest uses invalid matter and invalid form for the Consecration. I've seen a picture some years ago wherein the priest used a pie(!)-ish bread for the Mass (or "mass").

Neopelagianus
Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists. - Saint Pius X

I am a نصارى

"Not to oppose error is to approve it, and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them."
-Pope St. Felix III

"I would rather be a street-sweep rather than be a head of your schismatic church" (Prefiero ser lampazero a ser la cabeza de su jerarquia cismatica)

- Bishop Jorge Imperial Barlin, first native Filipino bishop  to Gregorio Aglipay after the latter offered the him to be the "bishop" of his "church".

Offline LausTibiChriste

• #ImpeachFrancis2020
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • sip sip
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »
I knew about Jimmy Fallon...I pray he truly comes back to the Faith because it sounds like he had a lot of respect, or what have you, for his Catholic upbringing.

I knew about Julian Fellowes too...he wrote a Catholic sub-plot into Downton Abbey. Never saw him at the Oratory...but if I did I'd totally ask him for an autograph  :P
‎"Traditionalists are some of the worst modernists on the planet"
     -Fr. Chad Ripperger

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
     -Wayne Gretzky
          -Michael Scott