Do you use a missal at Mass?

Started by Insanis, June 17, 2021, 12:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Prayerful on June 21, 2021, 02:56:49 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on June 21, 2021, 01:43:49 PM
I have a missal, but I use the Blessed Sacrament Prayer Book, by Fr. Lasance.

It doesn't seem to have the Epistles and Gospels like St Anthony's Treasury or Little Garden of the Soul, but it has so many prayers in it.

I love it. Stumbled on a gently used one on Amazon and snagged it.
My Lord and my God.

Voisinat

My Fr. Lassance Missal has been great for attending the Latin Mass. It's a bit bulkier than I'd like, but it's incredibly useful for the easy reading through the sections for the mass. Plus, the accompanying devotions in the back of the book are a great way to enrich one's prayer life during the day. My only issue was it's lack of availability (the publisher had it on back order for several months before they got another shipment) but it was worth the wait.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Voisinat on June 22, 2021, 08:02:41 AM
My Fr. Lassance Missal has been great for attending the Latin Mass. It's a bit bulkier than I'd like, but it's incredibly useful for the easy reading through the sections for the mass. Plus, the accompanying devotions in the back of the book are a great way to enrich one's prayer life during the day. My only issue was it's lack of availability (the publisher had it on back order for several months before they got another shipment) but it was worth the wait.

I've had my eye on this one.  I currently have the St. Andrew missal (which I bought from KK, actually), and I do like it alot.  I use it more at home for reading about the saint of the day and the daily Mass readings during school with my kids.  But, having to remember to bring it back and forth between home and church, to make sure I have it when I need it, is a pain sometimes.  I would like a Fr. Lassance one to just keep in the car for Mass.  I just love that priest!

Bernadette

I love him too. I bought a copy of My Prayer Book when I first reverted, and used it so much it wore out!
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Bernadette on June 22, 2021, 08:38:38 AM
I love him too. I bought a copy of My Prayer Book when I first reverted, and used it so much it wore out!

My copy of that book is worn out, too!  I've had to tape it back together.  It's definitely well loved.  I had a copy of his prayer book for mother's, but I left it somewhere :(.  I hope whoever found it benefitted from it.

Elizabeth.2

Yikes Fr. Lasance's Prayer book is expensive, but looks to be well worth it.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Elizabeth.2 on June 22, 2021, 09:42:55 AM
Yikes Fr. Lasance's Prayer book is expensive, but looks to be well worth it.

If I recall, I waited to purchase mine when it was on sale.  It's definitely worth it, though.  A real treasure.

Voisinat

They reprint to look as faithful as possible to the final edition. In my opinion, it's the most comprehensive missal out there for the laity. The fact that it has everything used in the Church before even the 1962 revisions makes it even more worthwhile.

I paid full price for it, but I definitely understand waiting for a deal. Maybe try looking at a local bookstore? Sometimes small town shops have them when you least expect them.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Elizabeth.2

There's always the good old-fashioned Catholic Guilt thing~ it's so expensive you have to use it, and keep using it ;D

Bernadette

The New Roman Missal? Or another one?
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

It doesn't have Vespers, which was the only part of the liturgy permitted to the public. Nor does it have the propers for Ireland (although none printed nowadays does, original missals are useful). It does explain the Mass better than any other missal I know. However, the St. Andrew's missal incorporates the Divine Office into the explanations for each Sunday.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Voisinat

Quote from: Bernadette on June 22, 2021, 03:14:41 PM
The New Roman Missal? Or another one?

The New Roman Missal.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Voisinat

Quote from: Prayerful on June 22, 2021, 03:40:12 PM
It doesn't have Vespers, which was the only part of the liturgy permitted to the public. Nor does it have the propers for Ireland (although none printed nowadays does, original missals are useful). It does explain the Mass better than any other missal I know. However, the St. Andrew's missal incorporates the Divine Office into the explanations for each Sunday.
That's a really interesting feature of St. Andrew's I wasn't aware of! I'll look into getting one if I can and checking it out. Thank you.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Prayerful

Quote from: Voisinat on June 23, 2021, 06:36:01 AM
Quote from: Prayerful on June 22, 2021, 03:40:12 PM
That's a really interesting feature of St. Andrew's I wasn't aware of! I'll look into getting one if I can and checking it out. Thank you.

Corpus Christi Watershed, a site largely concerned with Catholic hymn singing, has a scan of the 1925 St Andrew's Missal. It differs little (some art and text) from the 1945 (the standard reprint) or 1940 (mine, identical to '45 except Irish propers) and has Sunday and Feastday Vespers and Compline. It seems to lack the Kyriale of mine, but it is probably there, it orders some things differently. The link also has a basic scan of Fr Lasance Missal too.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

lauermar

I marked other. I have the 1962 missal and use it, but lately I've started using the Vetus Ordo app on my phone instead.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)