St Marys college

Started by Traditionallyruralmom, October 31, 2016, 07:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Quote from: Maximilian on November 02, 2016, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: Daniel on November 02, 2016, 02:00:03 PM

And as far as I know, the only other one in the entire world is L'Institut Universitaire Saint-Pie X in France, which I do hear is very good, but you need to know French...

This is interesting. I haven't heard of this place before. Do you know anything about it?
Not much. Some guy who seems to know what he's talking about tells me that he doesn't think it's actually run by the SSPX, though it is affiliated with them.
And my spiritual director tells me that he knows some people (or, knows of some people) who went there. I think he said that some of them liked it more than others... what he did say was that in some ways it's similar to St. Mary's but also a lot different. I think he said that the classes are a lot longer... some go on for several hours at a time (but I'm guessing they don't meet as frequently).
I also believe it's a full 4-year school. And this is just a guess, but from their website it looks like the curriculum is set up more like a mainstream college where you get more freedom in choosing some of the courses you take (as opposed to St. Mary's which is set up more like a high school where everyone just takes pretty much everything, based on placement).

Jacob

If I had kids, I would never allow them to go to Ave Maria.  There's just something wrong with Tom Monaghan and his enterprises.  Ave Maria is basically a real estate venture masquerading as a Catholic university and town.  A lot of good, solid Catholics got thrown under the bus over the years to make Tom's ego trip a reality.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LouisIX

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2016, 10:28:01 PM
If I had kids, I would never allow them to go to Ave Maria.  There's just something wrong with Tom Monaghan and his enterprises.  Ave Maria is basically a real estate venture masquerading as a Catholic university and town.  A lot of good, solid Catholics got thrown under the bus over the years to make Tom's ego trip a reality.

Tom Monaghan has almost nothing to do with the university now and hasn't been involved for quite some time. The university is entirely independent from his money and he holds no active governing role in the university.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Parresia

Christendom College seems pretty solid, at least from the outside looking in.  Anyone have thoughts otherwise? 

Maximilian

Quote from: Parresia on December 16, 2016, 10:01:50 AM

Christendom College seems pretty solid, at least from the outside looking in.  Anyone have thoughts otherwise?

An SSPX family has a daughter who is a student at Christendom, and she has now starting attending the Novus Ordo.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Maximilian on December 16, 2016, 10:37:17 AM

An SSPX family has a daughter who is a student at Christendom, and she has now starting attending the Novus Ordo.

That's pretty tame compared to the experiences of many families who send their children off to college. 

Kaesekopf

Quote from: JubilateDeo on December 16, 2016, 10:53:24 AM

That's pretty tame compared to the experiences of many families who send their children off to college.
You mean participating in a false sect's worship service is pretty tame?...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 16, 2016, 11:04:57 AM
Quote from: JubilateDeo on December 16, 2016, 10:53:24 AM

You mean participating in a false sect's worship service is pretty tame?...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm of the opinion that it's still a valid mass when said according to the rubrics, so we may just have to agree to disagree there.   :cheeseheadbeer:   Every single person  is going to "test" the world in some way once they leave the nest.  They will be exposed to lots of things they weren't exposed to as kids, and you can't avoid that.  After a certain point, your children are adults and you just don't have the same control over them as you did when they were under your roof.  But considering what a lot of college aged children "experiment" with in college as young adults, it could be so much worse.  I don't worry about my kids going to the Novus Ordo as adults because they do have some exposure to it, and they understand what the differences are. A college kid who hasn't been exposed to the NO at all might be curious about it and wonder if it's as bad as their parents warned them about.  I personally wouldn't freak out if my daughters went to a Novus Ordo or wore pants after going to college...i'd be more worried about them becoming atheists, leaving the Church, or telling me they're a man in a woman's body.

SamVanHouten

Quote from: Daniel on November 02, 2016, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on November 02, 2016, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: Daniel on November 02, 2016, 02:00:03 PM

And as far as I know, the only other one in the entire world is L'Institut Universitaire Saint-Pie X in France, which I do hear is very good, but you need to know French...

This is interesting. I haven't heard of this place before. Do you know anything about it?
Not much. Some guy who seems to know what he's talking about tells me that he doesn't think it's actually run by the SSPX, though it is affiliated with them.
And my spiritual director tells me that he knows some people (or, knows of some people) who went there. I think he said that some of them liked it more than others... what he did say was that in some ways it's similar to St. Mary's but also a lot different. I think he said that the classes are a lot longer... some go on for several hours at a time (but I'm guessing they don't meet as frequently).
I also believe it's a full 4-year school. And this is just a guess, but from their website it looks like the curriculum is set up more like a mainstream college where you get more freedom in choosing some of the courses you take (as opposed to St. Mary's which is set up more like a high school where everyone just takes pretty much everything, based on placement).

I would be very wary of getting a degree from a college in Europe in case it isn't recognized here...

tradical

Quote from: Aquila on November 01, 2016, 04:14:23 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the SSPX school in Saint Marys, KS. Having attended Saint Marys, I think you should go-if you have a good reason for going. If you want to really learn Catholic philosophy and theology well (traditional philosophy and theology, obviously) then it's a good decision. Their English and science is kinda meh (though not bad-I speak as someone who attended a major university for engineering, so compared to those types of programs it's meh) but the philosophy and theology is excellent. I would not necessarily recommend it to someone who attended an SSPX or similar traditional high school-if your program was good then Saint Marys is probably not for you-but I would highly recommend it to someone from a homeschooling or public school background. You'll get some much needed academic rigor that typically isn't present in a homeschooling environment, and will emerge prepared for higher level studies.

And yes, they are non-accredited. However it is possible to get their credits accepted, particular at universities inside Kansas. I was able to, as were a number of other people. I ended up as an engineer. A classmate of mine got accepted to a very highly ranked veterinary school. Another alumni that I know now holds a high-level position at Raytheon. There are other examples. Will it take you longer to get a "mainstream" degree? Probably, although it depends on what degree you plan to get, and how many of your Saint Marys credits you can apply to your future program of study.

The reason that they do not get accredited is that it would force them to water down their curriculum to an unacceptable level, according to a conversation that I had with the assistant dean once. They've looked into it before and decided that the price (from a moral and academic standpoint) was simply too high.

Edit: I forgot to add that the tuition and other costs are VERY reasonable, especially compared to other liberal arts schools. They don't take financial aid from the government (for the same reason they don't have accreditation) but they are pretty flexible on payment plans and such. If you're concerned about the cost it definitely wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask.

Hi All,

I graduated from the Academy and had no problem being accepted at a Canadian College.

Based on discussions that I've had with the local University and Colleges - even today it shouldn't be a problem being accepted from St. Mary's Academy.  College to College may be a little more difficult.

P^3
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

My Blog: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/

Elizabeth

St.Justin

Tradical, You do take long vacations.