Author Topic: Another FrankenBeatification Coming Up  (Read 3109 times)

Offline james03

• Major
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
  • Religion: Catholic
Another FrankenBeatification Coming Up
« on: May 21, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
http://www.dici.org/en/documents/blessed-dom-helder-camara/

In 1968, when Pope Paul VI published the Encyclical Humanae Vitae, Abp. Helder Camara openly sided against the Pontiff, describing his teaching on contraceptives as “an error destined to torture wives and to disturb the peace of many homes.”

In a poem that truly caused a scandal, the Archbishop of Olinda e Recife also satirized the women “victims” of the Church’s teaching who, according to him, were forced to give birth to “little monsters”: “… you must procreate! Even if your child is born without intestines, with rickety limbs, an enormous head, hideously ugly!”

Helder Camara also defended divorce, approving the position of the Orthodox Churches, which “do not rule out the possibility of a second religious marriage for those who were abandoned (by their spouse).” Questioned as to whether this would prove the secularists right, he replied: “What difference does it make who claims the victory, as long as you are right?”
Can't tell if he has already been beatified, or if they are starting on the process.  He's been delcared a servant of God.  Is that the same as Beatification?
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
Re: Another FrankenBeatification Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
Wiki because I'm lazy:
"Servant of God" is the title given to a deceased person of the Catholic Church whose life and works are being investigated in consideration for official recognition by the Pope and the Catholic Church as a saint in Heaven.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:31:22 AM »
Not sure about contraception, but rationality is certainly a curse.

How much longer can a rational person go on believing with these contradictions?

Offline KingTheoden

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:49:16 AM »
I predict that this cause goes no where.

Plenty of people were furious when the cause for Archbishop Sheen ended.  The surface issues on this perhaps were not pretty (real life rarely is very pretty.)  But it was and is the prerogative of Cardinal Dolan to put the process to a close and people have to accept that a) this is not the time for such a canonization or b) the Archdiocese of New York has good reasons better left unsaid.

I recall one contact one mine stopped talking to me for a while because I said this!  Well, we either humbly accept the decision of the Church when she rules, or we become a church unto ourselves.

If Pope Francis begins promoting this cause of Dom Helder Camara, then there is cause to voice lay reaction through the proper channels.  But I highly, highly doubt that this is a possibility or that it is even more than a distant blip on the radar of Francis.

EDIT: Servant of God is absolutely not the same thing as Beatification.  As I understand it, Servant of God is virtually meaningless today, except that an official cause is open.  Obviously there should be discernment used (for example, Sister Lucia is technically a 'Servant of God', though she led a holy life quite apart from what is immediately apparent with regards to the Brazilian cleric in question.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:51:52 AM by KingTheoden »

Offline Sockpuppet

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
I though Fulton Sheen's cause ended because there was a dispute between two churches over his body?

Offline Baldrick

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »
I though Fulton Sheen's cause ended because there was a dispute between two churches over his body?

Myself as well; I'd like to hear the full story on that. 

Offline KingTheoden

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »

Myself as well; I'd like to hear the full story on that.

It did.  But there is plenty of room to speculate that the Archdiocese of New York was not in favor of the cause and, perhaps, used the dispute over the body of Archbishop Sheen as a means to put the breaks on things.

My point is that those who say 'Oh, this is just Cardinal Dolan being Cardinal Dolan' miss an important point: God works through authority and the Cardinal is well within his rights in this case.  So either now is not the time for St. Fulton Sheen (entirely likely), or, perhaps, this is a material means through which God is working to put away a cause that is not meant to be.

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:48 PM »
I sincerely hope this is just a cause some NO Marxists are trying to promote. Anyone from Abp Fulton Sheen to Frank Duff, are more deserving than this aggressive Marxist.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline LausTibiChriste

• #ImpeachFrancis2020
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • sip sip
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
If this keeps up I'm pretty confident that a few years after I die there'll be a St. LausTibiChriste  ;D
‎"Traditionalists are some of the worst modernists on the planet"
     -Fr. Chad Ripperger

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
     -Wayne Gretzky
          -Michael Scott

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 02:11:54 AM »
If this keeps up I'm pretty confident that a few years after I die there'll be a St. LausTibiChriste  ;D

Should sell pieces of your hair just in case. Since it is not yet a relic, there's no simony -- just weird.

“The Modern Attack will not tolerate us. It will attempt to
destroy us. Nor can we tolerate it. We must attempt to destroy it as being the fully equipped and ardent enemy of the Truth by which men live. The duel is to the death.” - Hilaire Belloc, The Great Heresies

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 06:50:15 AM »

Should sell pieces of your hair just in case. Since it is not yet a relic, there's no simony -- just weird.

Just bribe the barber and you will be well set up.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline LausTibiChriste

• #ImpeachFrancis2020
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • sip sip
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »
I'm balding....will toenails do?  8)
‎"Traditionalists are some of the worst modernists on the planet"
     -Fr. Chad Ripperger

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
     -Wayne Gretzky
          -Michael Scott

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
if you are balding you can sell locks of your beard
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"