Cardinal Tagle: Church should not look to 'idealized past' with nostalgia

Started by Neopelagianus, May 23, 2015, 07:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neopelagianus

QuoteWashington

Philippines Cardinal Luis Tagle -- often cited as a possible successor to Pope Francis -- has called on Catholics to avoid looking to the pre-Second Vatican Council church with a sense of nostalgia, but to embrace and live out the council's sense of openness to the modern world.

Speaking at a landmark theological conference focused on carrying the vision of the council forward, Tagle said Vatican II rediscovered the church's understanding of mystery, mission and communion -- and that, from there, "the understanding of church changed radically."

One of the key changes of the council, he said, was the move from a church that focused on itself to one that focused on the needs of humanity.

"Many people want to witness to Christ in some idealized past that they long for with nostalgia," said Tagle, who spoke Friday morning at Georgetown University. "No, we witness to Christ now, here, where we are in our world."

"The church is being asked to retrieve its deepest identity as a communion, but a communion that is not focused on itself," he continued. "Not self-focused, not self-referential."

READ MORE (PREPARE YOUR VOMIT BAG FOLKS!): http://ncronline.org/news/global/cardinal-tagle-church-should-not-look-idealized-past-nostalgia
Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists. - Saint Pius X

I am a ?????

"Not to oppose error is to approve it, and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them."
-Pope St. Felix III

"I would rather be a street-sweep rather than be a head of your schismatic church" (Prefiero ser lampazero a ser la cabeza de su jerarquia cismatica)

- Bishop Jorge Imperial Barlin, first native Filipino bishop  to Gregorio Aglipay after the latter offered the him to be the "bishop" of his "church".

Antoninus

The fruits of Vatican II and openness to the world keep multiplying. It looks like today we got the legalization of sodomite fake "marriage". What Elizabeth, Cromwell and company couldn't do to bring down the Catholic Faith in Ireland, was done by the complacency of the NO establishment to the modern zeitgeist. Many priests in Ireland urged their parishioners to vote for this mockery of marriage. The Bishops of Ireland and Pope Francis were silent as far as I know. Satan must be dancing in hell.

PolishCrusader

I look to the past with nostalgia, if only because the Inquisition would've thrown this Cardinal in jail, in said past.
"Have the courage to face a difficulty lest it kick you harder than you bargain for."

-King Stanislaus of Poland

"Even if my own father were a heretic, I would gather the wood to burn him"

-Cardinal Carafa

Miriam_M

THIS:

Quote from: Antoninus on May 23, 2015, 07:47:45 AM
The fruits of Vatican II and openness to the world keep multiplying. It looks like today we got the legalization of sodomite fake "marriage". What Elizabeth, Cromwell and company couldn't do to bring down the Catholic Faith in Ireland, was done by the complacency of the NO establishment to the modern zeitgeist. Many priests in Ireland urged their parishioners to vote for this mockery of marriage. The Bishops of Ireland and Pope Francis were silent as far as I know. Satan must be dancing in hell.

Well stated.

Quote from: Neopelagianus on May 23, 2015, 07:00:35 AM
Philippines Cardinal Luis Tagle -- often cited as a possible successor to Pope Francis

God help us.

Baldrick

Quote from: PolishCrusader on May 23, 2015, 09:41:37 AM
I look to the past with nostalgia, if only because the Inquisition would've thrown this Cardinal in jail, in said past.

LOL

BigMelvin

yea because the Apostles and the Apostolic Fathers were on fire to make people aware of their liberty and inalienable dignity as men and to order all things on earth to man as their centre and crown (Gaudium et Spes) ::)
I saw the sun go down, on dreams of a utopian evermore...

Modernism controls its victims in the name of obedience, thanks to the suspicion of pride which is cast on any criticism of their reforms, in the name of respect for the Pope, in the name of missionary zeal, of charity, and of unity."
– Fr. Roger Calmel OP, Letter of 8th August, 1973

"In reference to the created intellect, however, (and specifically to the human) things may be said to be false when by their appearances they invite misconception of their true nature"
H.D. Gardeil, O.P., Introduction to the Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, Vol. 4: Metaphysics, 138.