NFP

Started by AlNg, April 05, 2023, 09:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlNg

Did the Catholic Church always allow NFP? For example, I read that according to the  Council of Trent:
"If any one saith that the Church errs in that she declares that, for many causes, a separation may take place between husband and wife, in regard of bed, or in regard of cohabitation, for a determinate or for an indeterminate period; let him be anathema."
history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/ct24.html
Would this be a condemnation of spacing births by separating husband and wife in regard of bed?

Greg

NFP is timing sexual activity to lower the chance of conception.

Abstinence is not having sex with your spouse.  I am pretty sure that mutually agreed upon abstinence was always permitted.

Once a hard working farmer had 8 children and his 2nd wife was looking after them, (his first had died of TB), then I would expect that they would stop sleeping in the same beds.  I would think a hard day of farming and a hard day of washing clothes by hand would make sleep more attractive than sex.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Josephine87

Quote from: AlNg on April 05, 2023, 09:06:51 PMDid the Catholic Church always allow NFP? For example, I read that according to the  Council of Trent:
"If any one saith that the Church errs in that she declares that, for many causes, a separation may take place between husband and wife, in regard of bed, or in regard of cohabitation, for a determinate or for an indeterminate period; let him be anathema."
history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/ct24.html
Would this be a condemnation of spacing births by separating husband and wife in regard of bed?

It says the opposite. "If anyone says the church is wrong for allowing husband and wife to practice abstinence for any length of time, let him be anathema." I wouldn't say it's about NFP. The first time that was mentioned was in the 1850s, long after Trent.

It does make me curious who the Council Fathers were addressing. There must have been some Protestant heretics going around saying that husband and wife were not allowed to practice abstinence (precursors to our "quiverful" types?). For some reason they say Catholics don't read the Bible yet they would be ignoring St. Paul who specifically said husband and wife could indeed practice abstinence.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

james03

I don't know, but the word "separation", which is used even today stands out.

Seems like an anathema against those who criticize the Church for using separation during marital difficulties.

So a wife is causing big problems in a marriage (perhaps she is constantly texting and refusing to stop).  The priest can allow the husband not to give her sex until she shapes up.  In really bad cases (maybe she's always taking selfies and even owns a selfie stick) he can allow a temporary physical separation.  However the couple has to continue to work on reconciliation with the involvement of the priest. 
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"