Virginia Abortion Bill

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, January 31, 2019, 09:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sempronius

Quote from: Josephine87 on February 06, 2019, 10:02:03 PM
Is blackface a sin?

If people get offended by it then one shouldn't do it.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Sempronius on February 07, 2019, 02:10:27 AM
Is blackface a sin?

It's not a sin.

It's just a form of theatrical make-up.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Josephine87

Is blackface a sin?

I agree but that doesn't answer the question. It seems low class certainly but strange to call it sinful. Where is the line between comedy and outrage drawn?
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 07, 2019, 03:12:02 PM
Is blackface a sin?

It's not a sin.

As are these Soviet posters of Jesus.

They are just cartoons, man!
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 07, 2019, 08:49:00 PM
Is blackface a sin?

It's not a sin.

(...)

False equivalence.

Nice try, though. I'm sure you've got some brownie points, white knight.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Sempronius

Quote from: Josephine87 on February 07, 2019, 04:45:56 PM
Is blackface a sin?

I agree but that doesn't answer the question. It seems low class certainly but strange to call it sinful. Where is the line between comedy and outrage drawn?

I wouldnt say that "blackface" is a sin in itself, but somethings should be avoided. And if we dont then we fail in charity. Thinking of St Paul when he said that we shouldnt eat meat if it offends our neighbour. And black people get offended by these theatrical shows.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 07, 2019, 10:01:24 PM
Is blackface a sin?

It's not a sin.

(...)

False equivalence.

How are they a false equivalence? They are both just art forms.

And I don't care if I'm a white knight or not.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 07, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
Is blackface a sin?

It's not a sin.

(...)

False equivalence.

Live, step back for a moment and think about what you're saying. You're equating an actual mockery of Our Lord, a blasphemy in and of itself, with a simple technique used to represent black people on stage when black actors were scarce or unheard of. Even if the blackface would necessarily be a mockery of blacks, something I deny, it still would not be ipso facto a sin, much less blasphemy. Mockery of group traits and racial stereotypes is part of a long tradition of humor that stretches back thousands of years.

The fact that you even try to make this equivalence is disturbing and proof of how deep the racist narrative of Social Marxism runs in current Western society.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 08, 2019, 10:50:16 AM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 07, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
Is blackface a sin?

It's not a sin.

(...)

False equivalence.

Live, step back for a moment and think about what you're saying. You're equating an actual mockery of Our Lord, a blasphemy in and of itself, with a simple technique used to represent black people on stage when black actors were scarce or unheard of.

Do you honestly believe it was a "simple technique" used to represent "black people" on stage?

"O ole Zip Coon he is a larn-ED skoh-ler, (3x)
Sings posum up a gum tree an coony in a holler,
possum up a gum tree, coony on a stump, (3x)
Den over dubble trubble, Zip Coon will jump."

These lyrics are just "representing black people" and not at all ridiculing them?

Just answer my question.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 08, 2019, 04:58:00 PM
Just answer my question.

It has already been answered, in case you had paid any attention.

Even if the blackface would necessarily be a mockery of blacks, something I deny, it still would not be ipso facto a sin, much less blasphemy. Mockery of group traits and racial stereotypes is part of a long tradition of humor that stretches back thousands of years.

The fact that you even try to make this equivalence is disturbing and proof of how deep the racist narrative of Social Marxism runs in current Western society.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 08, 2019, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on February 08, 2019, 04:58:00 PM
Just answer my question.

It has already been answered, in case you had paid any attention.

Even if the blackface would necessarily be a mockery of blacks, something I deny, it still would not be ipso facto a sin, much less blasphemy. Mockery of group traits and racial stereotypes is part of a long tradition of humor that stretches back thousands of years.

Okay.

So then, what do you think of the fact that every single human being is made in the Image of God, and therefore is an Icon of Christ? Do you believe that some people aren't images of Christ?

And Christ makes this explicitly clear in the Gospel:

"But when the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit down upon his throne of glory,
and all the nations shall be gathered before him; and he shall separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats;
and he will set the sheep on his right hand, and the goats on [his] left.
Then shall the King say to those on his right hand, Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from [the] world's foundation:
for I hungered, and ye gave me to eat; I thirsted, and ye gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in;
naked, and ye clothed me; I was ill, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came to me.
Then shall the righteous answer him saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungering, and nourished thee; or thirsting, and gave thee to drink?
and when saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in; or naked, and clothed thee?
and when saw we thee ill, or in prison, and came to thee?
And the King answering shall say to them, Verily, I say to you, Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me.
Then shall he say also to those on the left, Go from me, cursed, into eternal fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I hungered, and ye gave me not to eat; I thirsted, and ye gave me not to drink;
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye did not clothe me; ill, and in prison, and ye did not visit me.
Then shall *they* also answer saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungering, or thirsting, or a stranger, or naked, or ill, or in prison, and have not ministered to thee?
Then shall he answer them saying, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye have not done it to one of these least, neither have ye done it to me.
And these shall go away into eternal punishment, and the righteous into life eternal."

Fleur-de-Lys

Live, if you wish to discuss the morality of blackface, please start another thread.