Whether Sacred Sciences Subforum Be Open to All Posters

Started by Kaesekopf, June 05, 2021, 02:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Jayne on June 05, 2021, 02:46:53 PM
I see this as more of an intellectual exercise than anything with a practical purpose. I expect it to appeal to only a limited number of forum members.

That was the general idea of the Sacred Sciences subforum.

I guess I should make this subforum "permission only", where approved commentators could post, while everyone else could watch. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dellery

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 05, 2021, 02:52:51 PM
Quote from: Jayne on June 05, 2021, 02:46:53 PM
I see this as more of an intellectual exercise than anything with a practical purpose. I expect it to appeal to only a limited number of forum members.

That was the general idea of the Sacred Sciences subforum.

I guess I should make this subforum "permission only", where approved commentators could post, while everyone else could watch.

That's a good idea and would keep people like me from stumbling in here while day-drinking.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Vetus Ordo

That's a bad idea.

No-one in SD has any particular authority to pontificate on theology. Allowing only a select few members to post here will just reinforce certain cliques.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Kaesekopf

I split the topic to avoid further breaking my own rules and intent for the Subforum.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

There is no intention on my part to limit this Subforum's activity at the present moment. 

The "I guess I should" was more of a vocalized wondering than any particular statement of intent.

Jayne

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on June 05, 2021, 03:00:23 PM

That's a bad idea.

No-one in SD has any particular authority to pontificate on theology. Allowing only a select few members to post here will just reinforce certain cliques.

Not everyone on SD has the ability to engage in "semi-scholarly discussions" as per the stated purpose of the sub-forum.  There is the rest of the forum for everyone to express their opinions.  There is nothing bad about having a dedicated place for something a bit more academic. 

I would expect that everyone who requested permission to post here would be qualified to do so.  Most people are not even interested in more esoteric discussions.  Those with interest would usually correspond to those with ability.

There have been many instances of people not understanding or forgetting the purpose of this sub-forum.  This leads to starting inappropriate threads or derailing existing ones.  Some sort of permission system, similar to that used for Mary Garden, would prevent this problem.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Vetus Ordo

If those with interest would usually correspond to those with ability, then why limit access to begin with? It doesn't make sense. Any thread, semi-scholarly or not, can be derailed even by the brightest of minds. Each case is a case, people need to deal with it.

I suspect you'd be one of the few "qualified" to post, Jayne, but that is not going to happen.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Kaesekopf

Ultimately, the idea in my head (restrict the subforum to pre-approved posters) would serve to make my moderation life easier (inb4 <any comment at all>).

I could be more heavy-handed in my thread moderation, but to my mind, the pre-approval would just remind people for what this was intended.

Jayne

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on June 05, 2021, 03:30:31 PM
If those with interest would usually correspond to those with ability, then why limit access to begin with? It doesn't make sense.

I just explained why in my last post.  Because there are people who don't understand or forget the purpose or aren't paying attention to which subforum they are posting in.

Those with interest in the actual intended purpose of this sub-forum usually correspond to those with the ability.  Not everyone who posts is interested in the actual intended purpose.  Dellery's post that started this train of discussion was a perfect example.  He comes across as a person with no interest in abstract academic discussion.  He was saying that it seemed pointless to him.  (For the record, this has nothing to do with intelligence.)  And yet, he posted to a thread here.

This was not an isolated incident.  I was involved in a thread here recently in which a few of us were attempting a "semi-scholarly" discussion and other posters kept interrupting with emotional, poorly informed comments.  This was not the way this sub-forum is meant to function.  None of those people who were interrupting appeared to be interested in an academic discussion.  And yet, they were posting here.

As I envision a permission system, it has nothing to do with anointing certain posters with authority.  It is merely a way to ensure that those posting here understand the purpose of the sub-forum and really want to use it for that purpose.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Prayerful

That's a bad idea.

Some people show signs of great reading, and while they understand it in a general way, an array if authorities do not always make the point the e-theologian thinks it does. Sometimes truly great thinkers will introduce points others prefer to avoid as it might tell against what they try to say. It is surely possibly for a mod to remove posting privileges for someone who cannot express themselves clearly in this area, or who cannot 'play the ball, not the man,'
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Insanis

[Deleted]

Insanis

[Deleted]

Insanis

I think it should be limited to the topics, and if necessary, to the people able to control themselves.

If we want a free-for-all opinion fest when discussing theology, we can go to the Protestants.

But this is a Catholic forum.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Insanis on June 05, 2021, 06:38:41 PM
That's a bad idea.

Some people are more qualified than others though.

The theology of the Roman Catholic Church isn't a "clique".

Nor did I claim it was.

The cliques to be avoided are people posturing on the internet and demanding safe spaces in forums to echo their own thoughts.

Insanis

Redacted.