General Patton

Started by Heinrich, February 11, 2021, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

Quote from: ralfy on February 26, 2021, 11:07:09 PM
The movie is an interesting portrayal of the character, especially the part when the chaplain asks Patton about prayer. In news footage, though, the historical character had a high-pitched voice.

Is that maybe a sound recording issue? Most old footage seems like that, but also they can capture accents, ways of speaking, which have vanished.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

ralfy

From "The Religious Life of George S. Patton":

QuotePatton's religious beliefs, like the man himself, were unique and defy easy characterization. He was a communicant of the Episcopal Church, but he studied the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita. He was ecumenical in his beliefs, writing that "God was probably indifferent in the way he was approached," but he opposed his daughter's marriage to a Roman Catholic. He was in most respects a traditional Christian, but he had an unshakeable belief in reincarnation and asserted that he had lived former lives throughout history—always as a soldier.

"Eklund," he demanded, "do you know Chaplain So-and-so?"

"Yes, sir," I replied.

"Well get rid of the son of a ***. He can't preach!" And we got rid of him.

A speech by the historical Patton (jump to the 1-minute mark):

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYjnWXFTQkM[/yt]

A clip from the film, the weather prayer (NSFW):

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PehCORojjtw[/yt]

And on the Bible (NSFW):

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yft-D9mfNgw[/yt]

drummerboy

Quote from: Prayerful on February 28, 2021, 06:54:46 PM
Quote from: ralfy on February 26, 2021, 11:07:09 PM
The movie is an interesting portrayal of the character, especially the part when the chaplain asks Patton about prayer. In news footage, though, the historical character had a high-pitched voice.

Is that maybe a sound recording issue? Most old footage seems like that, but also they can capture accents, ways of speaking, which have vanished.

He did indeed have a squeaky voice.  He also had dyslexia, which necessitated memorizing his speeches to avoid embarrassment.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

ralfy

From a poem by Patton, "Through a Glass, Darkly":

QuotePerhaps I stabbed our Savior
In His sacred helpless side.
Yet, I've called His name in blessing
When in after times I died.

[yt]XRoMjoxK5v4[/yt]

King Wenceslas

Quote from: Mr. Mysterious on February 25, 2021, 05:46:37 PM
Two of my great uncles served under Patton in World War II and were with him when he ran out of fuel in Metz.

I heard he was begging for fuel but couldn't get any. Some speculate that if he had all he wanted the war would have been over by Christmas 1944.

Santantonio

He was a man that was, simply put, too good for the country he served.