Oscars Aftermath

Started by tmw89, February 24, 2013, 11:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 25, 2013, 11:31:06 AM
I thought Kristen Stewart's dress was nice.  Perhaps, for some people, the crutches detracted from it.

It would have been better if she brushed her hair.

Mono no aware

Quote from: piabee on February 25, 2013, 01:35:21 PM
Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 25, 2013, 11:31:06 AM
I thought Kristen Stewart's dress was nice.  Perhaps, for some people, the crutches detracted from it.

It would have been better if she brushed her hair.

I'm sure she brushed her hair, but I take your meaning.  I found it fetching, though.  Slightly tousled and earthy—an unlikely but winning contrast to the serene dress.  She looked like an elven princess; a shame it was late afternoon Los Angeles rather than a haunted woodland under aquamarine moonlight.  Perhaps having her hair in a crown braid would've been an improvement, but she still looked superb.

Someone1776

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 25, 2013, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: piabee on February 25, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
I hate it when the winners just thank a laundry list of people in their acceptance speech, a la Anne Hathaway.

I just hate Anne Hathaway, period.  Why is this woman famous?  She got her big break in a Disney feature, of all things, and it seems like she hasn't followed it up with anything terribly substantial, mostly just romantic comedies and popcorn movies.  I guess her most "serious" role was as the wife of a homosexual cowboy, but it's arguable whether anyone can really take that kind of thing seriously or not (an accurate measure of that movie's posterity might be that the phrase "brokeback" has become a funny slang word for macho activities which are secretly gay).  And finally she gets an Oscar for over-emoting in some Andrew Lloyd Webber schmaltz.

In a sane world, all the unfair detraction given to Kristen Stewart would be given to A. Hathaway instead.

Andrew Lloyd Webber has nothing to do with Les M is and Hathaway gave a great performance in it.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Someone1776 on February 25, 2013, 03:10:12 PM
Andrew Lloyd Webber has nothing to do with Les M is

Well, then whoever was behind the book, music, and lyrics of that thing did an impressive job of approximating his style.

Quoteand Hathaway gave a great performance in it.

I guess if you like the emotional content of your films to be somewhere on the level of bombast, such that it hits you over the head like a ton of bricks shooting off the world's most garish display of fireworks, then yes.  It was a great performance.

OCLittleFlower

I thought Anne did very well as Fontine -- but I couldn't STAND her dress.  Then again, she flat out admitted that she chose it 3 hours before the red carpet.  *eye roll*  She just doesn't seem to take things seriously -- favored to win and not picking out a dress in advance?

As for Kristen -- the dress didn't flatter her.  She doesn't have much of a waist and this only drew attention to that.  The fabric was pretty, but I wished the dress had more shape, like her on screen wedding dress did.  She looked amazing in that.  Truthfully, though, I felt for her last night with the injury.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

piabee

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 25, 2013, 07:39:10 PM
I thought Anne did very well as Fontine -- but I couldn't STAND her dress.  Then again, she flat out admitted that she chose it 3 hours before the red carpet.  *eye roll*  She just doesn't seem to take things seriously -- favored to win and not picking out a dress in advance?

She had picked one out in advance but then for whatever reason picked a different one. I didn't like it either, although (modesty aside) the back was interesting. The necklace didn't work with the neckline but it was probably chosen for the first dress.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: piabee on February 25, 2013, 08:00:01 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 25, 2013, 07:39:10 PM

She had picked one out in advance but then for whatever reason picked a different one. I didn't like it either, although (modesty aside) the back was interesting. The necklace didn't work with the neckline but it was probably chosen for the first dress.

I thought it looked like an ill fitting apron.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LouisIX

The fact that no awards were given to The Master was embarrassing. 

Argo did not deserve Best Picture.  It's hard to pass on Joaquin Phoenix for best actor but if they were going to they certainly chose the right man.  DDL is, in my opinion, the best film actor to ever live.

Both female acting award winners shouldn't have won.

Also hard to pass on Hoffman for Supporting Actor, but if you're going to do it then giving it to Waltz is the next best choice.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.