Preconciliar Breviary

Started by discalced, June 11, 2020, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

discalced

Down another rabbit hole... I started with Christian Prayer until I was gifted the 4-volume LOTH by a friend. Tonight, after Vespers, I was reading a meditation in Divine Intimacy and it said "...the Divine Office enthusiastically sings...", and I realized, "Wait, no it didn't."

I then discovered that there are half a dozen rubrics - Monastic, Tridentine 1570, Tridentine 1910, Divino Afflatu, etc.

Forgive my naiveté, but did V2 really change that too? What is recommended then?
Residuum revertetur!

Climbing Carmel

Lynne

Quote from: discalced on June 11, 2020, 07:46:03 PM

Forgive my naiveté, but did V2 really change that too?

Yes, it changed just about everything.  :'(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Michael Wilson

Vatican II: "The Religion of the Worship of Man".
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

aquinas138

Every ritual of the Roman Rite, from Mass and all the sacraments to the Breviary, to exorcisms, to something as small as the blessing of a Rosary, was changed to some degree. If lex orandi, lex credendi has any meaning, the implications of this are staggering.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

MundaCorMeum

Indeed, down the rabbit hole you go.  Have fun!  :cheeseheadbeer:

Vetus Ordo

You haven't reached even the middle of rabbit hole until you start lamenting the reform of the breviary made by St. Pius X in 1911.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jayne

My husband has the 4 volume LOTH and he still uses it for prayer.  I used to join him occasionally, but as I became more traditional, it began to bother me.  I can't remember any specific examples since this was a while ago, I kept finding the wording irritating.

I recommend the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The Divine Office was meant for clergy and religious.  The LOBVM was the traditional equivalent for lay people.  You can take a look at this online version to see what you think of it.  Given your affinity for Carmelites, this one seems especially appropriate: http://traditionalcarmelite.com/pray/littleoffice/
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

discalced

Quote from: Jayne on June 13, 2020, 09:17:43 AM
My husband has the 4 volume LOTH and he still uses it for prayer.  I used to join him occasionally, but as I became more traditional, it began to bother me.  I can't remember any specific examples since this was a while ago, I kept finding the wording irritating.

I recommend the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The Divine Office was meant for clergy and religious.  The LOBVM was the traditional equivalent for lay people.  You can take a look at this online version to see what you think of it.  Given your affinity for Carmelites, this one seems especially appropriate: http://traditionalcarmelite.com/pray/littleoffice/

This is it! Perfect. Now to find a decent hard copy. Thanks!
Residuum revertetur!

Climbing Carmel

tradne4163

Quote from: discalced on June 13, 2020, 10:33:01 AM
Quote from: Jayne on June 13, 2020, 09:17:43 AM

This is it! Perfect. Now to find a decent hard copy. Thanks!

I recommend the Baronius Press edition of The Little Office. It has both English and Latin, plus notation for chanting in an appendix if you're so inclined.

You could get a Carmelite Rite (OCarm) version, but it's only out in paperback unless you get really lucky and find an old copy of the prayer book it came from. It's on Lulu.com and there's often some sort of discount with a coupon code. If one is available it's usually advertised right on Lulu's homepage.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Jayne

Quote from: tradne4163 on June 13, 2020, 11:37:08 PM
I recommend the Baronius Press edition of The Little Office. It has both English and Latin, plus notation for chanting in an appendix if you're so inclined.

I have the Baronius. This is a publisher associated with FSSP, so if you end up attending their Mass and liking it, that could be an indication you'll like their LOBVM.

I'm not sure if they changed this in later editions, but my Baronius does not have the stress markings on the Latin prayers.  If you intend to pray aloud in Latin, that is inconvenient (unless you are extremely good at Latin).  Other than that, I am happy with it.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

aquinas138

Quote from: Jayne on June 14, 2020, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: tradne4163 on June 13, 2020, 11:37:08 PM

I have the Baronius. This is a publisher associated with FSSP, so if you end up attending their Mass and liking it, that could be an indication you'll like their LOBVM.

I'm not sure if they changed this in later editions, but my Baronius does not have the stress markings on the Latin prayers.  If you intend to pray aloud in Latin, that is inconvenient (unless you are extremely good at Latin).  Other than that, I am happy with it.

The first printing had no stress marks and was RIDDLED with typos in the Latin - it looked like an OCR job that wasn't manually checked or checked by someone who didn't know Latin. I had bought two copies of that, but I never got a look at subsequent editions.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on June 13, 2020, 07:10:41 AM
You haven't reached even the middle of rabbit hole until you start lamenting the reform of the breviary made by St. Pius X in 1911.

Unironically this, though. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Prayerful

Some of the last iterations like the Bea Psalter might be considered problematic. Augustin Cardinal Bea SJ made a brand new translation from Hebrew to Latin. A major problem was its fine Latin, notably different from the Vulgate, could not be sung. The Latin LOTH reverted to a contemporary edition of the Vulgate, which could be sung as monks always did.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

discalced

Thanks everyone! The Baronius 5th edition is en route. By now, the typos and formatting errors should've been long corrected. I was leaning toward the version "according to the Carmelite Rite," but it's unfortunately only available as a poorly printed, shoddily constructed paperback.
Residuum revertetur!

Climbing Carmel

aquinas138

One last comment. While I agree with Jayne's recommendation of the Little Office, as it is a venerable practice that is many centuries old, I disagree with the idea that the Divine Office is meant for clergy and religious. The Divine Office is meant for public celebration in churches, especially cathedrals. It certainly came to be the preserve of clergy and religious for many reasons, but it should be said that the practice of a priest reading the Office by himself is itself an aberration from the ideal. Religious (apart from Jesuits) had the advantage of communal prayer rules that preserved the choral office, but secular priests and Jesuits gradually came to read the vast majority of the Office privately. Unless a layperson lived near a monastery, the Divine Office was largely inaccessible for this reason (apart maybe from Sunday Vespers in certain churches), and it was not a viable private devotion because of the expense of books and the high level of illiteracy among laity, both in vernacular tongues and certainly in Latin.

All of which does not take away from the fact that the Little Office is an excellent, beautiful, and hallowed devotion.