Audio recording quality

Started by Jean-Baptiste, March 28, 2016, 09:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean-Baptiste

I am preparing a movie about the Church crisis in French, but I have some difficulties with the sound. The recordings are of good quality (I use a Blue Yeti Mic), and I have changed the voice on audacity, so that my voice be better. I increased the low pitch and removed the high-pitched. The result is very good, but not on all sorts of speakers. With headphones, there is never any problem; but with speakers, the sound is bad on my television and on the cheap speakers of my computer. On the contrary, the sound is pretty good with the high-quality speakers of my brother's computer, and with the speakers of his laptop. It clearly comes from the low-frequency, for when my brother increases the low-frequency on his high-quality speakers, the sound is bad (muffled and displeasing); and when he decreases the low-frequency, there is no problem. Moreover, when I add the high-pitched, the recording is better on all speakers. However, I prefer the voice without the high-pitched; therefore I would like  to keep this adjustment and still to have a good sound on any kind of speakers. Do you know how to do? (the compressor does not change anything).

Thank you in advance.
"Come out of her, my people, that you may not be involved in her guilt, nor share the plagues that fall upon her. Her guilt mounts up to heaven; the Lord has kept her sins in remembrance"  (Apocalypse XVIII. 4-6).

Gardener

Have others listen to your changes. It's not easy to mix your own voice.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Jean-Baptiste

They find my voice fine on fine speakers.  :D

The real problem is to have a good voice whatever speakers are used... I can't understand why it is so flawed, muffled, on some speakers. I know that it is due to the low pitch, but if I increased the high-pitched, it would be less beautiful.
"Come out of her, my people, that you may not be involved in her guilt, nor share the plagues that fall upon her. Her guilt mounts up to heaven; the Lord has kept her sins in remembrance"  (Apocalypse XVIII. 4-6).

Gardener

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste on March 31, 2016, 03:37:02 AM
They find my voice fine on fine speakers.  :D

The real problem is to have a good voice whatever speakers are used... I can't understand why it is so flawed, muffled, on some speakers. I know that it is due to the low pitch, but if I increased the high-pitched, it would be less beautiful.

Have them listen to the multiple versions on multiple speakers. Don't poison the well with telling them what you dislike/like. Again, it's very hard to mix one's own voice. Consider PMing nmoerbeek for tips on voice recording -- his apostolate is audiobooks.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe