Started by red solo cup, August 23, 2020, 05:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Quote from: mikemac on August 25, 2020, 12:44:50 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on August 25, 2020, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: mikemac on August 24, 2020, 10:56:26 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on August 24, 2020, 02:59:43 PM
Quote from: mikemac on August 24, 2020, 02:04:26 PM
How did we get to the point of recognizing Edward I as a great king?

I think it was me (going by memory). Please look above. If was indeed rebelling against injustice, that's fine. He's the man. However, if he was a shrewd usurper, seeking personal power and pelf, then he needs to be judged as such.

Maybe you are getting Edward I confused with Edward the Confessor?  Edward I won the Second Barons' War, he conquered and colonized Wales, he expelled all the Jews from England and he attempted but failed to conquer Scotland.  I suppose I could see why some Englishmen would call Edward I a great king.  But I can't see why anyone else would though.

No. St. Edward is my Confirmation saint. Edward 1 is as you said.

There are actually two St. Edwards that are recognized by the Catholic Church, Edward the Martyr (962 – 978) and Edward the Confessor (1003 – 1066).

Edward the Confessor was among the last Anglo-Saxon kings of England.  Edward I (1239 – 1307) was the first son of King Henry III and Eleanor of Provence.  Edward is an Anglo-Saxon name, and was not commonly given among the aristocracy of England after the Norman conquest, but Henry was devoted to the veneration of Edward the Confessor, and decided to name his firstborn son after the saint.

Right. Make England Catholic Again.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Frank

September 3rd, 1939

Start of the second word war against Germany. I was 7.

We won. (though we did have a lot of help ;D)
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Heinrich

Quote from: Frank on September 03, 2020, 02:56:35 AM
September 3rd, 1939

Start of the second word war against Germany. I was 7.

We won. (though we did have a lot of help ;D)

What would have happened if France and GB didn't declare war on the Reich? Asking for a friend
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.