Opulence in Restaurant Food

Started by drummerboy, January 05, 2024, 01:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacafamala

American restaurants serve large portions to make the customer feel they're getting their money's worth. They don't care about your health, only that it tastes delicious. Most dishes are loaded with fat, sugar, salt and chemicals.

I prefer to cook at home. I only eat out when I have to anymore. Because at home, I can make great food taste okay--for cheap.   
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Greg

Clau Clau and I went to Trump's inauguration 7.5 years ago and stopped at steak house in Pennsylvania.  Can't remember the name of the town other than it began with the letter D and was right on the highway.  Dane?

I had a voucher for a free starter, so did he.  When we tried to use them it said one per table in the small print.  Typical marketing fraud. So we ordered deep fried calamari and got so much of it in just the one starter that I had to finish his steak.

I prefer that to Novo Cuisine bullshit where you get a steak the size of a mushroom.  If the world can produce excess food for the first time in human history then surely better to eat it than waste it.

What really is a crime is the number of plates in British, French and Italian restaurants with 3/4 or 1/2 the food left on them to be thrown in the trash.  And I am not talking the chips (Freedom fries) but half of the fillet of meat or fish
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Greg on April 27, 2024, 12:05:23 AMClau Clau and I went to Trump's inauguration 7.5 years ago and stopped at steak house in Pennsylvania.  Can't remember the name of the town other than it began with the letter D and was right on the highway.  Dane?

I had a voucher for a free starter, so did he.  When we tried to use them it said one per table in the small print.  Typical marketing fraud. So we ordered deep fried calamari and got so much of it in just the one starter that I had to finish his steak.

I prefer that to Novo Cuisine bullshit where you get a steak the size of a mushroom.  If the world can produce excess food for the first time in human history then surely better to eat it than waste it.

What really is a crime is the number of plates in British, French and Italian restaurants with 3/4 or 1/2 the food left on them to be thrown in the trash.  And I am not talking the chip but half of the fillet of meat or fish

Leaving meat on the plate is a mortal sin. Up there with not finishing your beer/wine.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

clau clau

Quote from: Greg on April 27, 2024, 12:05:23 AMClau Clau and I went to Trump's inauguration 7.5 years ago and stopped at steak house in Pennsylvania.  Can't remember the name of the town other than it began with the letter D and was right on the highway.  Dane?
I think it was Bear, Delaware (Long Horn Steakhouse)
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Heinrich

In my honest opinion, eating out is horrid. Horrid food, horrid prices. Horrid I tell you.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Heinrich on April 27, 2024, 04:58:27 PMIn my honest opinion, eating out is horrid. Horrid food, horrid prices. Horrid I tell you.

I love eating out but I grew up in restaurants so to each his own I guess

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Greg

Quote from: clau clau on April 27, 2024, 04:12:14 PM

I knew it was 4 letters.  Even if I got the name and state wrong. ,o)
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

clau clau

Quote from: Greg on April 28, 2024, 04:10:19 AM

That was a lovely steak. It is a shame I could not finish it. I think if you had not eaten it I would have got them to box it and eaten it cold.

I am not sure which steak we had.  Below is a list.  Can you remember?

https://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/menu/legendary-steaks-combos/legendary-steaks

edit: I don't think you paid anything like the prices quoted there.  Looks like some serious Bidenflation.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Bernadette

Quote from: clau clau on April 28, 2024, 05:00:54 AMThat was a lovely steak. It is a shame I could not finish it. I think if you had not eaten it I would have got them to box it and eaten it cold.

https://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/menu/legendary-steaks-combos/legendary-steaks
I can't believe you remember a steak that you ate 7.5 years ago. That must have been an excellent steak.
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Quote from: Bernadette on April 28, 2024, 07:19:06 AM
Quote from: clau clau on April 28, 2024, 05:00:54 AMThat was a lovely steak. It is a shame I could not finish it. I think if you had not eaten it I would have got them to box it and eaten it cold.

I can't believe you remember a steak that you ate 7.5 years ago. That must have been an excellent steak.

No European(or Canadian) ever forgets his trip to the US. It's that special.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Greg

Quote from: clau clau on April 28, 2024, 05:00:54 AM
Quote from: Greg on April 28, 2024, 04:10:19 AM

That was a lovely steak. It is a shame I could not finish it. I think if you had not eaten it I would have got them to box it and eaten it cold.

edit: I don't think you paid anything like the prices quoted there.  Looks like some serious Bidenflation.

I was the fire grilled T-bone or the Porterhouse I think.

Greg

Eating a nice steak is a highlight of a middle aged man's life.

Like his football team winning the cup.

Bernadette

I live in the land of the Southern Plate Lunch: meat and two veg with a glass of tea for $10, and I get two meals out of it easily.
My Lord and my God.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Greg on April 29, 2024, 04:53:53 AM

Eating a nice steak is a highlight of a middle aged man's life.

Like his football team winning the cup.

Food is one of the few licit pleasures we have in life. Thus, it is memorable.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LausTibiChriste

Men like food and sex.

The sooner women realize this the sooner they will be happy.

Give a man food and *ahem* (married, of course) and he'll do anything for you.

- MaximGun