Luke 21:24

Started by pioflower, October 08, 2020, 09:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioflower

24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
25 "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

pioflower

Gentiles cut of point??

mikemac

Quote from: pioflower on October 08, 2020, 09:02:15 AM
Gentiles cut of point??

I'm sure you must mean "Gentiles cut off point??"

I imagine Luke 21:24 is referring to Romans 11:25.

"For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, of this mystery, (lest you should be wise in your own conceits), that blindness in part has happened in Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles should come in."
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

pioflower

Yeah, is there a point in end times when salvation is not possible for gentiles?

mikemac

I don't think so.  You asked this before, didn't you?
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

St.Justin

Quote from: pioflower on October 08, 2020, 09:01:59 AM
24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
25 "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

This is referring to the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD

mikemac

Quote from: St.Justin on October 08, 2020, 07:12:18 PM

That's Preterism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preterism

Source

Daniel

Quote from: mikemac on October 08, 2020, 10:13:33 PM

That's Preterism.

Not necessarily. I'd have to refresh myself on the passage, but I think verse 24 refers to the destruction of the Temple whereas verses 25 through 28 refer to the end of the world. The destruction of the Temple prefigures the end of the world, so it seems that Jesus speaks of the two events as if a single event.

The Theosist

That's Preterism.

And some weak form of Preterism is undeniably right. Verse 24 has already happened to the Jews.

St.Justin

That's Preterism.

Wikipedia is misleading as far as Preterism is concerned, so I'll give you a better definition of it.

Preterism means some of the eschatological prophecies Jesus made were already fulfilled in 70 AD - for example, the destruction of Jerusalem. Preterism requires the reader to read Jesus' words according to historical context, instead of (as many seem to do) according to modern interpretation. It also requires the reader the acknowledge that those who lived in the early Church would understand Jesus' words, whereas modern interpreters tend to consister the ancient people as idiotic, foolish, or misguided. The Catholic Church believes in preterism.

mikemac

Quote from: Daniel on October 09, 2020, 05:39:05 AM

That's Preterism.

Not necessarily. I'd have to refresh myself on the passage, but I think verse 24 refers to the destruction of the Temple whereas verses 25 through 28 refer to the end of the world. The destruction of the Temple prefigures the end of the world, so it seems that Jesus speaks of the two events as if a single event.

Agreed, just verse 24 refers to the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.  And verses 25 to 28 refer to the end times.  Part of the title that the Douay-Rheims Bible gives Luke 21 is "The signs that should forerun the destruction of Jerusalem and the end of the world."

Source

mikemac

Quote from: St.Justin on October 09, 2020, 10:18:55 AM

That's Preterism.

Wikipedia is misleading as far as Preterism is concerned, so I'll give you a better definition of it.

Preterism means some of the eschatological prophecies Jesus made were already fulfilled in 70 AD - for example, the destruction of Jerusalem. Preterism requires the reader to read Jesus' words according to historical context, instead of (as many seem to do) according to modern interpretation. It also requires the reader the acknowledge that those who lived in the early Church would understand Jesus' words, whereas modern interpreters tend to consister the ancient people as idiotic, foolish, or misguided. The Catholic Church believes in preterism.

I realize that.  To some extent.  I couldn't find an article on Preterism in the Catholic encyclopedia.  The problem with some Preterists, like for instance this guy that use to come to the forums is that he was convince that everything, including all the book of Apocalypse had already happened in 70 AD.  Which is not possible seeing the Second Coming of Christ is in the future.

The reason why I posted the Preterism link in reply to your post is because you were giving the same impression.  You were giving the impression that Luke 21 verses 24 through 28 are all referring to the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.  Verse 24 yes.  Verses 25 to 28 no.

Source

St.Justin

Quote from: mikemac on October 09, 2020, 01:09:03 PM

That's Preterism.

I realize that.  To some extent.  I couldn't find an article on Preterism in the Catholic encyclopedia.  The problem with some Preterists, like for instance this guy that use to come to the forums is that he was convince that everything, including all the book of Apocalypse had already happened in 70 AD.  Which is not possible seeing the Second Coming of Christ is in the future.

The reason why I posted the Preterism link in reply to your post is because you were giving the same impression.  You were giving the impression that Luke 21 verses 24 through 28 are all referring to the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.  Verse 24 yes.  Verses 25 to 28 no.

You could be referring to me. Pretty much everything in biblical prophecy has already been fulfilled unless it is specifically referring to the end of the world.

mikemac

Quote from: St.Justin on October 09, 2020, 02:24:32 PM

That's Preterism.

You could be referring to me. Pretty much everything in biblical prophecy has already been fulfilled unless it is specifically referring to the end of the world.

I remember part of his argument was that the book of Apocalypse was written before the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.  You know, he'd have to claim that otherwise Apocalypse wouldn't have been a prophecy, it would have been a history book if it was written in, what was it 91 or 92 AD, like the Church believes.  Was that you?

Source

St.Justin

Quote from: mikemac on October 09, 2020, 03:59:04 PM
Quote from: St.Justin on October 09, 2020, 02:24:32 PM

That's Preterism.

I remember part of his argument was that the book of Apocalypse was written before the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.  You know, he'd have to claim that otherwise Apocalypse wouldn't have been a prophecy, it would have been a history book if it was written in, what was it 91 or 92 AD, like the Church believes.  Was that you?
. Nope I wouldn't say that but I will say that I believe that it was a book based heavily on numerology and symbology in order to tell the Christians of his time what had happened, what was happening and was going to happen.