On Atheists in the Forum

Started by Sbyvl36, December 22, 2013, 04:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sbyvl36

This is an open letter to the mods.  I intend no disrespect for posting this, I am only trying to raise awareness here.

Though of course it is the prerogative of the mods whether or not to permit atheists to be on this forum, I ask them to consider more closely the personalities they are allowing to post.  As we know, SD's rules regarding Non-Catholics are as follows:

QuoteNon-Catholics:
1) Error has no rights. As such, anti-Catholic viewpoints are not permitted to be posted here.
2) Do not attempt to sway traditional Catholics away from the Faith.

Though I will not name names here, certain atheist(s) have become extremely brazen in breaking these rules repeatedly.  Now of course my intention is not to police the forum, but it comes to a point where such individuals become a nuisance to the community, and derail the conversations at hand.  These certain atheist(s) consistently post views which are obviously anti-Catholic, and certain specific posts of said certain atheist(s) are clear attempts to either a) refute arguments in favor of Catholicism, or b) blatantly try to sway traditional Catholics from the faith.  If you would like the links to said Anti-Catholic posts, PM me, as I will not mention them here.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this letter, I write this with full respect towards the moderators.  Please understand that it was written with the best interests of all involved, and not an attempt to be rude or obnoxious.  I hope the moderators will closely consider what I have written here, and take appropriate action.  For any clarification, please PM me.

Sincerely yours,
Sbyvl.
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

RobertJS

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

per_passionem_eius

I thought the policy was that we should PM the moderator(s) with any complaints of this kind.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

C.Z.

Can you give us an example of derailing?
The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people" - G.K. Chesterton.

"To be able to speak the Truth and yet remain silent is to draw down the anger of God" - St. Justin Martyr

Sbyvl36

Quote from: Bowwow on December 22, 2013, 04:34:52 PM

I'll give you a hint, as I am not naming names.

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

per_passionem_eius

You guys are baaad - trying to usurp the moderator(s) while they have their Sunday dinner.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

tmw89

For whatever it's worth, I ''third'' the motion, after RobertJS.

...unless this is all considered ''out of bounds,'' in which case I withdraw the third :P
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

C.Z.

Quote from: Sbyvl36 on December 22, 2013, 04:39:53 PM

Assuming we're talking about the same person, I haven't seen any derailing from him.

I have seen derailing from fellow Catholics, however.
The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people" - G.K. Chesterton.

"To be able to speak the Truth and yet remain silent is to draw down the anger of God" - St. Justin Martyr

Sbyvl36

Quote from: Bowwow on December 22, 2013, 04:47:02 PM

Assuming we're talking about the same person, I haven't seen any derailing from him.

Fair enough, as that wasn't my main point.  This was:

QuoteThese certain atheist(s) consistently post views which are obviously anti-Catholic, and certain specific posts of said certain atheist(s) are clear attempts to either a) refute arguments in favor of Catholicism, or b) blatantly try to sway traditional Catholics from the faith.

--St. Thomas Aquinas

--Pope Pius IX

--Archbishop Lefebvre

Mr.Crowley

I dunno, there's that provides for pretty good threads. In looking at these ideas of atheists we can better understand our own faith and how we understand the world. I've been enjoying a thread about monarchy.

C.Z.

Quote from: Sbyvl36 on December 22, 2013, 04:48:37 PM
Quote from: Bowwow on December 22, 2013, 04:47:02 PM

Fair enough, as that wasn't my main point.  This was:

QuoteThese certain atheist(s) consistently post views which are obviously anti-Catholic, and certain specific posts of said certain atheist(s) are clear attempts to either a) refute arguments in favor of Catholicism, or b) blatantly try to sway traditional Catholics from the faith.

In the thread I'm thinking of, he was asked to refute certain Catholic ideas  :shrug:

Sbyvl36

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on December 22, 2013, 04:53:03 PM
I dunno, there's that provides for pretty good threads. In looking at these ideas of atheists we can better understand our own faith and how we understand the world. I've been enjoying a thread about monarchy.

That's all well and good, but some more recent posts of certain atheist(s) have become intolerable.

--St. Thomas Aquinas

--Pope Pius IX

--Archbishop Lefebvre

tmw89

I have a few thoughts on the topic of non-Catholics (of any kind) posting on Catholic forums that I've wanted to share for a while, I guess this is as good a place as any to share. Please don't misconstrue any of the following as criticisms of SD: merely ''food for thought.''

-Should Catholic forums (especially those of a social bent) be restricted to Catholic users? I think the case for the affirmative is stronger than the negative, as the owner of a forum extends to users the privilege to publish on his platform, and non-Catholics could much abuse this privilege with error-laden posts. Consider Vetus Ordo earlier this year.

-If ''social'' forums are not appropriate for non-Catholics, is there ANY kind of forum on which their participation would not be an issue? Such a forum would have to be solely dedicated to apologetics, I think, and staffed by people with backgrounds and credentials such as those of mod LouisIX.

I've a few more thoughts, but am on phone and face a character limit.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Spooky

Quote from: BowAssuming we're talking about the same person, I haven't seen any derailing from him.

This is a Catholic forum. We shouldn't have to defend being Catholic on our own forum. If I wanted to debate the pros and cons of Catholicism vs Atheism, I'd join a forum dedicated to that.
If they have sincere questions, that's different. I'm not seeing sincere questions, I'm seeing "prove it!"

tmw89

One more on the phone:

-Returning to non-Catholics posting on social Catholic forums, what of scandal? I mean this not as any statement, but as a question. We would do well to consult moral theology manuals and find those passages most applicable to public association with non-Catholics who do not show any intention of conversion.

Again, I do not mean any of these points as criticisms of SD. I only hope that my meanderings might help the site, if only a little.

(this is the part where somebody quotes that last sentence and writes ''Who asked ya?!'')

---