Pocket Statues: what was the purpose?

Started by drummerboy, March 06, 2024, 07:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1374952143/religious-french-copper-catholic-tube?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=saint+anthony+icon&ref=sr_gallery-2-41&search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

I've seen other versions of this.  Miniature statues meant to be carried.  My great-uncle had one that was a miniature statue of Saint Anthony and Saint Raphael, in a small vinyl envelope/pouch, meant to be carried and implore protection for travelers.  Was this a holdover from pre-print years, when anybody could carve a mini statue, instead of carry an image? Or perhaps the custom held on because a statue is more durable, and you can set it up as a makeshift altar of sorts?  An alternative to wearing a medal too I suppose.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Acolyte

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III