Is it a sin to go to an Anglican church and genuflect?

Started by Warwick, January 11, 2020, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warwick

Hello Ive been having some interesting thoughts lately is it a sin to go to an Anglican church and genuflect? I am doing my best and I dont want to step in a church that is not Catholic but as a fierce Medievalist and Anglophile some times there churches make my heart beat harder.

To fight this urge I found the list of churches in my Archdiocese and I am going through it looking for Gothic churches that make my heart pound like that. Theres Nice TLM parish in Baltimore and I do attend sometimes, but i avoid the city when I can. 

Its just a shame how many Churches that are now NO, I love the archictecture but i dont think i can stand another NO Mass part of me is wondering if id be more comfortable  visiting an Anglican Church... Theres a nice Anglican use church here and I may visit again but it was a culture shoch meeting a priest with 7 kids haha. It was a good experience but definitly different.

Im not sure I will ever act on my urge to go to every gorgoues gothic church despite what faith they are. But maybe its possible it can be done reverantly aslong as you make it clear you are Catholic. I am sure its more likely to go well in a High Anglican Church vs something else.

St.Justin

Looking for love in all the wrong places. There are now Anglican rite parishes.

Gardener

Are you talking about Anglican use, a la the Ordinariate or actual Anglicans?

If the former, yes you should genuflect since they reserve the Blessed Sacrament.

If the latter, actual Anglicans, you should not genuflect toward mere bread. Might as well genuflect every time you pass a Dunkin Donut shop. At least their bread has frosting.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Tales

First I'd say I like how passionate you are.

Moving on, I agree with Gardener, it is just bread there.  All knees bow before the name of Jesus - but He is not in the Anglican tabernacle.  It would be similar to genuflecting in the Hagia Sophia.

I'd treat them like a museum.  There are beautiful Catholic churches you can visit in the northeast in which you can genuflect.

Warwick

Means a lot Davis and yes I mean actual Anglicans. Been doing some thinking I most likely wont go, but on the other hand how can I convert anyone if Im only around Catholics?

Im not sure how Anglicans do it but what If I just kneeled when everone else does in the service?  I want to make my point clear the only people should do this are Catholics that are solid in there faith.

While this may be a rumor but ive heard Anglican use discouraged having a Latin mass. Ive been to it before and it was nice and I like it a lot more then NO, its not near as intense as the latin mass.

Gardener

You don't need to go to other groups to convert people. Surely you interact with the public in general at least some? Do you work with only Catholics?

To go to an Anglican "church" service is to engage in communicatio in sacris. Think of all the martyrs who died to NOT have to go. If only they'd thought that they could go to convert people!  ::)
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Miriam_M

Quote from: Gardener on January 11, 2020, 08:09:06 PM

If the latter, actual Anglicans, you should not genuflect toward mere bread. Might as well genuflect every time you pass a Dunkin Donut shop. At least their bread has frosting.

No.  Krispy Kreme rules.  All other donuts are just bread. :lol:

Miriam_M

meaning...

Krispy Kreme are real donuts/doughnuts.
All other imitations are mere bread.

(Wasn't being sacrilegious there.)

Maximilian

"Old" St. John the Evangelist church in Silver Spring offers weekly (indult) Latin Mass.
https://dclatinmass.com/locations/maryland/silver-spring-tlm-congregation/
(It's important to insist on "Old" since there is a new church that is a typical abomination.)

From the outside at least it looks just like the aesthetic you are seeking. I cannot find any photos of the interior.

Gardener

Quote from: Miriam_M on January 18, 2020, 09:47:48 AM
meaning...

Krispy Kreme are real donuts/doughnuts.
All other imitations are mere bread.

(Wasn't being sacrilegious there.)

Daylight Donuts here in Oklahoma honestly has some of the best donuts I've ever had, and I've had them hot off the belt at Krispy Kreme.

They could bring a man to his knees, though not in genuflection.

Santantonio

It would seem you're more concerned with theatre and less with validity, if you're going to Anglican services
outside of a required social obligation, that's not Ordinariate, that is illicit.
Novus Ordo masses are not illicit unless you're a Sedevacantist, which is a personal conclusion, evidently you're not,
because you're talking about going to Anglican "masses"...  :huh:

Chestertonian

Are you talking about Anglican use, a la the Ordinariate or actual Anglicans?

If the former, yes you should genuflect since they reserve the Blessed Sacrament.

I needed a good laugh today
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

GBoldwater

Nobody should be going into an Anglican Church in the first place, without a good reason.

What's a good reason?
My posting in the non-Catholic sub-forum does not imply that I condone the decision to allow non-Catholics here. I consider non-Catholics here to be de facto "trolls" against the Catholic Faith that should be banned. I believe this is traditional Catholic moral procedure.

coffeeandcigarette

LOL!!!! Frosting...yum.  ;D ;D

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: GBoldwater on January 19, 2020, 07:36:43 PM
Nobody should be going into an Anglican Church in the first place, without a good reason.

What's a good reason?

A friend of mine likes to go and look at them, especially the really old ones. He says it is his duty to go and check up on stolen property.  ;D