Confession and emotional processing

Started by angelcookie, July 08, 2018, 02:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

Do I need to go to confession for emotions during emotional processing to let go of what variable I am working on to heal in the first place?

ServusMariae

Dearest angelcookie, I can wholeheartedly understand you have emotional baggage to iron out, but confession is admittedly not a good time for that. Sorry.

Just plainly confess your sins & that's it. Don't tell long, deep stories & don't clog up the queue. If you really need in-depth emotional talk, speak to a priest privately & see if he will be able to take you for spiritual direction. Otherwise, you can also seek help from a professional counsellor. Praying for you!  :pray3:

Jacob

Quote from: angelcookie on July 08, 2018, 02:31:12 AM
Do I need to go to confession for emotions during emotional processing to let go of what variable I am working on to heal in the first place?

I don't think so.  As long as you realize those emotions are bad and you don't act on them.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Miriam_M

No.  Emotions are not sins.   To the extent that we believe that particular emotions are leading us into temptation because of some extreme indulgence of them on our part, we have an obligation to bring those emotions under restraint so that we will not overreact to situations in life, impeding our relationships with others, causing others confusion and dismay, etc.  That's part of charity:  regulating ourselves and our effect on others.  If we need professional help and/or prayer to achieve that self-control, then we should do so.  Also, we can hurt ourselves by some failure to regulate our emotions, and God wants us to prosper and be joyful, not be chained by our emotions.  To love oneself is a commandment.  Love does not mean self-indulgence but proper care of ourselves, respect for ourselves and the fact that He created us in His image.  Love for self means striving to be the authentic self that reflects that divine image.

He expects only effort to regulate our emotions, not instant success.  Prayer will help enormously in achieving that; it will speed up the process of self-regulation.  (Spoken as one who has trouble with that myself.)
;)

Chestertonian

I will pray for you.  Miriam is right about emotions

have you tried DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy?) It has done wonders for my wife
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

angelcookie

Thank you for the DBT suggestion. I had to look it up but I think some of the DBT techniques are used in the therapy sessions, in combination with others.

Gerard

You may not HAVE to go because of it, but you probably need to go for other things that occur in the daily living as a fallen human being.  Frequent confession is a good thing for processing emotional baggage, you keep getting sanctifying grace which helps in multiple ways.  To paraphrase, a priest reminded me one time that , "...the confessional is not a washing machine...it's a source of strength..." 

Also, from the spiritual warfare end of things, demons often attach themselves to wounds in the psyche and the soul, they feed on resentment which is literally "feeling things over again" and they love to throw things back at you.  (Satan literally means the "accuser" or "adversary").  Some of what you're "processing" could be exactly that but "oppression" might be piggybacking on it and trying to derail the healing. 

Demons do not like frequent confession, it may take hundreds of confessions and communions as well as prayers and natural emotional healing but it does make a difference.  Also, I would recommend the Litany of Humility on a daily basis with meditation in the meaning of the prayer.  It's about clearing away emotional clutter, specifically unhealthy fears and desires. 

I always throw in a bit about struggling with uncharitable words or thoughts.  Even if I don't know if I've crossed the bounds of charity, I put it in as a coverall.   The priest may often give good advice for praying for patience, prudence, perseverance, forgiveness etc.