Catholic fiction?

Started by Bernadette, August 20, 2019, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Anybody have any recommendations? Like I need any more books to read, but that's beside the point.  ;) I've already read In This House of Brede, but there has to be more out there.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Walker Percy. Flannery O'Connor. C.S. Lewis. LOTR or most Tolkein.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Taylor Caldwell, Dear and Glorious Physician, it's about St Luke.
Emmuska Orczy, The Scarlet Pimpernel
Louis de Wohl, several historical fiction novels
Chesterton, The Man Who Knew Too Much
Ralph McInerney, The Father Dowling series
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Lynne on August 20, 2019, 07:01:56 AM

There are several of the Pimpernel books out there... .
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Maximilian

Anything by Evelyn Waugh
Diary of a Country Priest
Death Comes for the Archbishop
Canticle for Leibowitz
Remembrance of Things Past (1st volume)

Gardener

Walter Macken's Irish trilogy.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on August 20, 2019, 08:38:31 AM
Quote from: Lynne on August 20, 2019, 07:01:56 AM

There are several of the Pimpernel books out there... .

Yes, but they became formulaic, imo...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Lynne

Quote from: Maximilian on August 20, 2019, 08:40:43 AM
Anything by Evelyn Waugh
Canticle for Leibowitz

Canticle for Leibowitz, first 1/3 was interesting/amusing, I felt the middle 1/3 kind of dragged, the last 1/3 was amazing.

And for people of French Canadian descent, Shadows on the Rock was wonderful.

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on August 20, 2019, 09:23:48 AM
Walter Macken's Irish trilogy.

Thank you!

from Amazon:
QuoteWalter Macken was born in Galway in 1915. He was a writer of short stories, novels and plays. Originally an actor, principally with the Taibhdhearc in Galway, and The Abbey Theatre, he played lead roles on Broadway in M. J. Molloy's The King of Friday's Men and his own play Home Is the Hero. He also acted in films, notably in Arthur Dreifuss' adaptation of Brendan Behan's The Quare Fellow. He is perhaps best known for his trilogy of Irish historical novels Seek the Fair Land, The Silent People and The Scorching Wind. He passed away in 1967.

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on August 20, 2019, 11:56:34 AM
Anything by Evelyn Waugh
Canticle for Leibowitz

Canticle for Leibowitz, first 1/3 was interesting/amusing, I felt the middle 1/3 kind of dragged, the last 1/3 was amazing.

So what you're saying is that the middle third needed a lightbulb moment. 
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on August 20, 2019, 12:12:38 PM
Anything by Evelyn Waugh
Canticle for Leibowitz

Maybe it was there and I missed it. I don't know why I persevered but I'm glad I did.

Philip G.

My local library happens to have nearly all the Louis de Wohl books.  I just ordered one based on the life of King David.  It should arrive tomorrow for me to pick up.  I definitely recommend them.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on August 20, 2019, 12:22:27 PM
Quote from: Gardener on August 20, 2019, 12:12:38 PM
Anything by Evelyn Waugh
Canticle for Leibowitz

Maybe it was there and I missed it. I don't know why I persevered but I'm glad I did.

Think about the content of the middle of the book, and the invention therein. ;)

Graham

RA Lafferty was an American Catholic author of sci-fi and fantasy novels that contain Catholic themes. They are on the weird side and not for everyone, but why not give one a try? Past Master or The Devil is Dead are both good places to start.

Michael Wilson

Jose Gironella, "The Cypresses Believe in God", the most powerful novel of the Spanish Civil War.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers