Connetions?

Started by poche, February 11, 2013, 12:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poche

How do I hook up to the internet at my home?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: poche on February 11, 2013, 12:42:26 AM

Generally, you contact an Internet Service Provider and it is hooked up much like a phone would be (I think...I never had a phone hooked up before).

If you rent, your landlord may have information about it.

If you have cable or phone service, the same company likely provides Internet as well.

I highly recommend getting a router and securing it yourself (rather than renting or buying from the ISP), and use that to connect individual devices to the Internet through wired connections or wireless.

poche

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 11, 2013, 03:05:25 AM

Generally, you contact an Internet Service Provider and it is hooked up much like a phone would be (I think...I never had a phone hooked up before).

If you rent, your landlord may have information about it.

If you have cable or phone service, the same company likely provides Internet as well.

I highly recommend getting a router and securing it yourself (rather than renting or buying from the ISP), and use that to connect individual devices to the Internet through wired connections or wireless.
Does that mean that somebody will come to my house?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: poche on February 12, 2013, 06:23:06 AM

Usually, yes.

Bonaventure

Yes, just call Comcast or ATT and they will send a technician.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 12, 2013, 03:53:35 PM
Yes, just call Comcast or ATT and they will send a technician.
This is very specific to geography.

I could not even follow that advice.

BierKaiser

Quote from: poche on February 12, 2013, 06:23:06 AM
Quote from: Pæniteo on February 11, 2013, 03:05:25 AM

Usually, a tech would come to your place for installation.  And the advice about the router is good, 300 mbps "N" routers are cheap.

poche

What exactly is a router?

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

voxxpopulisuxx

how do you post here now?
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

poche

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 15, 2013, 10:05:03 PM
how do you post here now?
I go to Suscipe Domine and I hit the keys. I only know enough about computers to do exactly what I am told.